Are cyclists generally worse right now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
The only two item of cycling clothing i own, is a helmet that i never wear and a pair of summer cycling gloves that i often wear because of the padding in the palms. Dont need anything else, general wear suit my needs fine on a bike.

Clanghead

As previous posters have said, there's clearly many inexperienced riders out at present - good if they get into the habit long-term, but best avoided - especially since many of them seem to have no concept of how far 2m should be. Many of them are on the paths on our local common.

Most of the suburban roads around here are fairly empty, so it does annoy me (even more so than at "normal" times) to see people cycling on the pavements when there's plenty of room on the road for them to give pedestrians at least 2m distance.

I did have one d*ckhead ride past me and through a red light at a busy crossroads last weekend, and then saw him a few hundred yards later meeting up for what looked very much like a drug swap/sale - maybe he was late for his appointment... With reduced traffic (pedestrian, cycle, cars), such rendezvous tend to stand out that much more.

BalkanExpress

Legendary Member
(Minor) Confession time..with the relative absence of motorised traffic my concentration levels are not what they usually are when surrounded by large lumps of fast moving metal . I’m not jumping lights but I realise that I am shoulder checking less when avoiding potholes, moving to the centre line to turn etc

Smudge

Veteran
(Minor) Confession time..with the relative absence of motorised traffic my concentration levels are not what they usually are when surrounded by large lumps of fast moving metal . I’m not jumping lights but I realise that I am shoulder checking less when avoiding potholes, moving to the centre line to turn etc

Bad form not to do a lifesaver, even if the roads are not as busy now. Could be anything you haven't noticed overtaking you, or coming alongside you.

BalkanExpress

Legendary Member
Bad form not to do a lifesaver, even if the roads are not as busy now. Could be anything you haven't noticed overtaking you, or coming alongside you.

Absolutely agree, and most of the time i do so, but, compared to pre-lockdown i am not as focused and getting a little sloppy

screenman

Legendary Member
Sure, but I think there's a pretty big difference between being a perfect cyclist and being a knob.

There are some knobs about.

You are right, I have read some of what they say.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Absolutely agree, and most of the time i do so, but, compared to pre-lockdown i am not as focused and getting a little sloppy
It's easy for your mind to drift and to not be as sharp when there are few dangers about.. My biggest danger is my 16yr old son, who prior to the lockdown rarely showed any interest in his bike but will now come out for a daily ride. I am constantly telling him to slowdown at a junction, move out from the kerb, ring your bell and make sure the walkers acknowledge before passing them (only on a designated cycle path of course :whistle:) but, his classic is changing from the inside of me to the outside whenever we have enough space to ride two abreast. I have a stiff neck by the time we get home from keeping my eye on him so as to avoid an embarrassing family incident.

Johnno260

Veteran
Worst I have seen was on a farm track, I had kids with me, I saw the guy behind, I asked my kids to move over which they started doing, I also signaled for the guy to slow down, which he didn’t.
He went to cut between myself and child and ended up on a grass verge where instead of putting his foot down he dramatically fell over and threw his bike at me.

His rear wheel almost hit my kid.

His Dad and sister rocked and and told us to move along, I saw the Dad a few days later asking me to fork out for a replacement shifter....

I have footage from my cyclic6 shown the Dad and said tough the damage is from the throw.

I did offer him my spare one for £120...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well I'm an experienced cyclist but I gave another cyclist a fright last Saturday.... up at the wild boar park near Chipping the road is especially rough and I noticed a new rattle from the bike. Stopped to investigate then set off, peering down at the bike and generally wobbling about on the wrong side. Suddenly heard "Oiiii!" and looked up to see a rider in flouro jacket braking hard to avoid a head-on collision. As he passed I told him "Sorry! Got a rattle!"

"You've got a rattle!" I heard him say in mock amazement.

So if that was you, sorry fella!

JPBoothy

Veteran
It's easy for your mind to drift and to not be as sharp when there are few dangers about.. My biggest danger is my 16yr old son, who prior to the lockdown rarely showed any interest in his bike but will now come out for a daily ride. I am constantly telling him to slowdown at a junction, move out from the kerb, ring your bell and make sure the walkers acknowledge before passing them (only on a designated cycle path of course :whistle:) but, his classic is changing from the inside of me to the outside whenever we have enough space to ride two abreast. I have a stiff neck by the time we get home from keeping my eye on him so as to avoid an embarrassing family incident.
Blimey talking about me tempting fate! Last night the son that I had mentioned as being a liability in a recent post actually sealed his own fate and did a dramatic forward roll over the bars when we were literally 30 seconds from home. To be fair, he appeared to be riding safely but, as we rounded the corner into our cul-de-sac over he went. He was more worried about my spare bike which took a few scuffs, as did his elbows/knees. However, the more worrying thing was that as a result of him jumping up too quickly 'and probably a bit of shock too' he then started to stumble, his eyes rolled and he passed out briefly into my arms! The only thing we can think is that his front wheel hit a stone or he got a bit of toe overlap as he turn the corner but I'm so glad he had a helmet on.

Not a nice thing to witness but, I felt obliged to say "never mind son it's only a bike" :angry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nothing worse than seeing your child injured. Ours has been in hospital three times after cycling and skiing crashes.

Top Bottom