Anyone else still spending money on their 26" wheel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
A few months ago I bought a Cotic Soul frame (26er), and swapped the parts over from my Cove Handjob XC (26er). The Cove only has clearance for 2.1" tyres, which are slowly getting harder to source. Riding the two bikes, I can't tell the difference between them.

I'm finding that tyres are becoming scarce. No Schwalbe Mondial tyres other than 2" for 26" touring bikes. Looking for wider xc tyres for my rebuilt mountain bike, the best choice seems to be 2.4" Nobby Nics, not available with a softer compound.

It seems that tyre manufacturers are focused on the Dirt Jump / Downhill / newer Expedition bike market and catering less for 26" road use / gravel / hardpack xc

EckyH

Unfortunately (?) my memory betrayed me a bit - found only one 26" rim brake wheel and a few rims in the fund, but also a wheel set for disc brakes. Fortunately the 1x1 frame as mounts for both kinds of musicbrakes.
Here it is:
IMG_20240921_190926_01.jpg

Probably I'll change the cranks. The XT cranks are very, very wide. And I have to teach the rear quick release manners - despite it is really tightened, my old rubber legs can pull the rear wheel out of position.
But the most unfamiliar thing is the handlebar. 66cm wide. Golly gosh! That must be made for Bud Spencer...

E.

Last edited:
Top Bottom