Any routes around twyn - North Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hopefully be spending a bit of time in this neck of the woods.
Wonder if anyone has any 30-40 mile loops they would be willing to share - or just suggestions of where to ride

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
Assume you mean Towyn.

Komoot offers about 60 routes around and through Towyn

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some decent routes. There are some good routes skirting the Clwyd river if you want flat headding out towards St Asaph and also some hilly aspects going towards Abergele, and more over to Rhudlan. Stick to some of the smaller roads and you won't get much traffic.

I used to come out of Preststyn along the Dyserth path, into Dyserth then out the back towards Tremerchion, then loop back via back of St Asaph and down to Towyn then back through Rhyl along the coastal path. Don't use the main road between Rhudlan and Abergele as its fast, busy and narrow. I tend to loop out by the hospital/St Asaph. Some decent cycle lanes between Dyserth and Rhudlan, again main road busy but the shared path is decent enough.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Assume you mean Towyn.

Komoot offers about 60 routes around and through Towyn

Old spelling now spelt tywyn for reasons I'm not sure of !!

This is the tywyn about 15 miles from aberdovey - there is another towyn spelt with an O ! - that's not where I am !!!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Road bike, with some benign rough surface:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/48054417
I would make a short diversion to ride to the middle of Barmouth bridge. Also consider riding the toll bridge (and back ~200m) at Penmaenpool, but not if the sleepers are wet.
Or don't drop down to Mawddach estuaryside cycle path and stay high (above King's YH) on the 'top road' and drop into Dolgellau.
Option to avoid climb/surface of Cwm llwyd (from Rhoslefain) is the A493: fairly benign outside commuting hours.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Note the toll bridge charges cyclists unless you happen to a GCN presenter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OayV3zZZiwI#t=10m20s

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Screenshot_20240821-123223.png

Ok - have done a few routes now - the one attached being the longest. Disappointed how much time I'm spending on A roads - I thought there would be more back roads - maybe I haven't found them yet - or that's just how North Wales is ??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not so many small lanes round there due to the geology. If you find any, they will likely be vertical in places. I don't know that area that well, been out that way a few times in the car, but I'd suggest looking at strava heatmaps and or google.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Disappointed how much time I'm spending on A roads - I thought there would be more back roads - maybe I haven't found them yet
In the route I offered you, there's 10km of A road in 73km. The Mawddach Trail surface is good (or stay high on the mountain road slowly climbing out of Dolgellau. But everyone's road surface threshold is different. Have you been over the Aber Dysynni bridge yet? And happy valley (cwm maethlon) is beautiful with a great view west to the sea from the col and a super fast run down to Tywyn.
Of course this loop maybe too long for you. Riding in reverse is just as good.
1724430048203.png

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
I can vouch that the mountain road from Llanidloes to Machynlleth is a proper hard climb, but the 6 mile descent into Mach is utterly epic.

Top Bottom