Another puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Legendary Member
Location
Somerset UK
^^
Impossible to answer. It's how-long-is-a-piece-of-string sort of question.

Depends on the type of use, type of roads (or presumably paths or terrain) type of tyres, and luck.

In days when I used to tour a lot (a while ago) I used the basic 27" Michelin road tyres, and when going around with 25kg of kit rarely got more than 2,500 miles from them, whereas on the same bike commuting I used to get about 5000.

In recent years I've used Schwalbe Marathons and got between 7000 and 14000 miles from them. There are exceptions though. Get a bad cut from bits of metal, glass etc. and you write them off in one at any age. The pair of Marathons that only did 7000 miles were a few years ago when we had a hot summer (remember them?) and they went soft. So did a lot of road surfaces, which probably contributed to their deterioration.

I can't be sure but I think I've lost more tyres to mechanical damage than to wearing out. The Marathons on my Dawes Horizon came off a previous bike and have now done about 6000 miles. The front one looks like new, the back one is more worn (quite normal) and has picked up a load of small (<1mm) cuts this summer. I picked loads of tiny bits of glass out but how come it's the back only? I'll replace that one before the winter.
 
Location
West Lothian
cool, thanks David, like I say a general idea is all I was looking for and you've given some great info there. I'm a total noob so just trying to learn as much as I can.

thanks again
 

Matt1705

Guru
Location
Redditch
I had a puncture yesterday. Going down a country lane with a variety coming towards me, concentrating on the car I didn't see the pot hole. Hit it pretty hard, front was fine but back went flat, heard the air hissing out :sad:

Fixed the punture and swapped the front tyre with the rear and all is fine so far...
 
I got a puncture on my carrera hybrid, about two years ago.
I was flying down sharpenhoe clappers (2 track country road) on the way home from work trying to hit 40mph. I remember glancing down and seeing around 38, then my back tyre hit a large stone, and that was it. The back of the bike started fish tailing really quickly, and there was a car coming up the hill. Not wanting to use my brakes of fear of what might happen, instinct took me back to my childhood, and I slammed both feet on the ground to slow down which provided much needed balance as well. I slowed down enough to lift my feet back off the ground and got to the side of the road. Heart pumping big time. I remember thinking that my feet were really hot as well lol! Lesson was quickly learned and I hardly travel that way now, prefering the more gentle decent the A6 provides.
 
Top Bottom