Aldi rear camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aegis

After updating mine to 171026_V3 the previous 15 minute 'inactivity' switch off doesn't work any more and laying it on its side (fall off) doesn't activate the 15 minute switch off either. So maybe the motion detector has been disabled in the new fw.

Same here. I would guess they've just disabled it entirely losing both auto shutoff and accident detection. It's a pity about the latter but I'm not missing the former. It's been reliably recording rides now for the last week or so since the update including a prize idiot this morning attempting an overtake on a mini roundabout then through a zebra. *sigh*

I had a dig in the firmware but didn't get very far unfortunately. There's very few strings in there unlike in the Fly6 firmware. The chipset manufacturer seems to be fairly common (comes up often on the Chinese gadget sites) but not _that_ common that there is a community of dashcam hackers around it.

I once mentioned this type of camera to our in-house police officer.
He said any video footage would be inadmissible in a Scottish court as the camera is disguised as a bike light.
Is he correct?

Well, Merseyside Police are more than happy to use it for evidence. I had a close pass whilst out the other weekend and contacted them about it, they had me simply send them some screen grabs from the footage showing the close pass along with details on where and when it happened and they went and cautioned the driver about it and told them they would prosecute if they did it again. So for me that's a result, 1 less dangerous driver out there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 14.36.07.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 14.36.07.png
    330.1 KB · Views: 174

InchPitch

Regular
yoiks that looks close.
Whats the procedure for reporting - did you have to go down the station to fill in a form etc.

Well, Merseyside Police are more than happy to use it for evidence. I had a close pass whilst out the other weekend and contacted them about it, they had me simply send them some screen grabs from the footage showing the close pass along with details on where and when it happened and they went and cautioned the driver about it and told them they would prosecute if they did it again. So for me that's a result, 1 less dangerous driver out there.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I don't think many of you are local, but the Aldi in Meridith Road (off Felixstowe Road) in Ipswich had half a dozen of these left for £20 when I was in there on Saturday.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Still £40 in Robroyston, not sure how many as they don't trust us enough to leave then out.

I'd be willing to pay postage if anyone wanted to help. My Fly6 battery lasted a year (charged daily, takes all night to charge on a good C,harger). Not a massive fan of their customer service.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
There are still a few at the Tottenham branch. Not sure how many but they have one on display in the cabinet. Not sure if they still have the one that i returned

yoiks that looks close.
Whats the procedure for reporting - did you have to go down the station to fill in a form etc.

Hi sorry for delay in replying. No all I did was to contact them on their Twitter account, never actually spoke to anyone all via tweets until the driver had been spoken to, then the police officer who dealt with the driver phoned me to explain how it all went. all very easy and 21st century :-)

Bigpikle

I just picked one up in Buckingham for £14.99...... now time to go back and find out how to update the firmware and make it work as well as it can!

AlwaysHope

I've just been reviewing my vids- bit like watching paint dry unless you have accident or it picks an armed robbery in progress! I got this after being knocked off my bike. Even at night its easy to pick up number plates in town etc. For the price really pleased with it.
I now have a Cycliq Fly 12 on front.. Same quality but the customer service on Cycliq is far better! Should be at the price.

Top Bottom