Airport check in - how long before flight and other matters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
For those getting there last minute, what do you do with your time before you set off for the airport?

My own view is, if I'm going to be hanging around at one end or the other, I'd rather do that at the airport, just chilling with a coffee, some music and a book after all the rest of the process is done.

Sleep if its a 6am flight! :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Security delays can be the issue - Manchester is either a breeze or a massive queue - been called through before when queue's were so bad and they called our airline through as the gates were closing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My general advice is don't be one of those dickheads that gets to security and only removes about 1/5th of the metal /. liquids things from their pockets and has to keep going round and round and takes ages to sort out their shite at security. jeez its not difficult and their are enough signs up telling you what to do.:laugh:

So many factors affect timing
- size of airport
- queues at security and bag drop vary and can build up / chnage through the day
- hand luggage only is much quicker, only one queue
- some airline don't let you bag drop earlier than a set time anyway
- are you relaxed or a faffer
- do you want to eat once thru security before you board
etc etc personal choice.

Useful advice, if you are in queue and genuinely getting very tight - tell someone from the airline /airport staff and they will bump you through.

Emanresu

I always thought it use to be you arrive two hours before then more recently 1 hour seems about right.

London airports seem to close the gate about 45 mins before. No chance with an hour if in economy!

Check when baggage drop closes. Think it is now 1 hour before and not 45 minutes.

I'm in dispute with Vueling over them closing baggage drop early (as they had overbooked the flight)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If travelling with family and hold luggage, then 2 hours is the minimum to be confident that you will get through.
Travelling alone with only carry on bags is far quicker.
As you say, the biggest variable is often getting to the airport.

dicko

Guru
We are planning an overnight hotel near Heathrow as our flight is 17.15 and check in starts at 14.00. We have a 120 mile trip and we don’t want unexpected delays.

screenman

Legendary Member
I always booked the lounge, I get 3 hours for around £35 food and booze included, I always feel I have had good value for money, which means I arrive early, normally in the car park three hours before my flight, I am good at chilling once security is over.

Alex321

Guru
Took me 90 minutes from Home to departures (straight through check in and fast track security), couple of hours in lounge…now my flight is delayed due to the great British summer weather, sat on plane waiting to take off 😬

I do remember one time when I had been in Jersey, leaving the beach at St Oeans an hour before the flight was due to leave, and making it to the gate with about 10 minutes spare before it closed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I always booked the lounge, I get 3 hours for around £35 food and booze included, I always feel I have had good value for money, which means I arrive early, normally in the car park three hours before my flight, I am good at chilling once security is over.

Me too as I have a Lounge Pass. Problem for me these days is that everybody else is cottoning-on to the value of the 'business lounges' and at peak times you can't guarantee access. I can book but it's an extra charge. Most of the time it's OK. Heathrow tends to be the major issue, there's just not enough lounge capacity.

Fab Foodie

We are planning an overnight hotel near Heathrow as our flight is 17.15 and check in starts at 14.00. We have a 120 mile trip and we don’t want unexpected delays.

That's relaxed!
I typically book flights from noon onwards at Heathrow so I don't need an overnight. My journey is 178 miles along the M5/M4 about 3.5 hrs in a 12 year old Citroen C1:becool:. I leave early to get a couple hours in the lounge!
As a strategy it'll fail one day!

Alex321

Guru
That's relaxed!
I typically book flights from noon onwards at Heathrow so I don't need an overnight. My journey is 178 miles along the M5/M4 about 3.5 hrs in a 12 year old Citroen C1:becool:. I leave early to get a couple hours in the lounge!
As a strategy it'll fail one day!

It failed us back in 2015 :sad:

Only time we have ever missed a flight. It was at 08:50 from terminal 3. Normally a 3 hour drive from home at the time (Marthyr Tydfil), so aim to be there by 7, add an extra hour for contingency, left at 3:00AM.

BIG hold ups on M4, tried getting off M4 and taking A roads, those were even worse. Ended up arriving at the airport at 9:00 AM. Fully twice the usual journey time.

The lady at the BA check in desk was able to book us another flight at 4PM (at a cost of £600 as the return had automatically been cancelled), so we had lunch at a nice pub in Windsor, wandered around for an hour or two, then got on the new flight. But not an experience I want to repeat.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just on a train to Vienna airport. Quite early as I don’t fly for over 2.5 hours but as I’ve come off another train I had no choice. Will check bag and head for Priority pass lounge which I get included with my Amex (not exactly free as I pay for the card but even so)! Free grub and drinkies

Fab Foodie

Just on a train to Vienna airport. Quite early as I don’t fly for over 2.5 hours but as I’ve come off another train I had no choice. Will check bag and head for Priority pass lounge which I get included with my Amex (not exactly free as I pay for the card but even so)! Free grub and drinkies

Was there week before last - Enjoy!

Top Bottom