About Time ⌚

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Well, I'm Back, and thank's to Plustwos I have my cable and it's on the bike, Just got to go out and do final adjustments, thank you Plustwo for your invaluable help.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Well, I had an Hours trip through the woods and did a few minor adjustments to the gear change and boy did I enjoy that, but it makes you realize just how unfit you are especially after weeks of lockdown when you are just sitting around watching tv or on the laptop passing the time, but no doubt 🤷‍♂️ I will get used to it after a few weeks of gentle rides, still a bit wobbly and nervous in traffic but gaining confidence already.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Thank you Annedonnely, for your interest And of course, you are right about coronavirus close-downs and anyway I should have checked online first so it's my own fault, but still i have my cable now assembled on the bike and back in business.
Frank

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
I see members talking about clipped and non-clipped trainers, and it is over my head, can somebody explain please, I just use ordinary shoes and they seem to do the job alright.

The Bystander

Über Member
FAQ on clipless here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/clipless-pedals-faq.74358/
Flat pedals and normal shoes for me. I wouldn't worry about special footwear at the moment. Just concentrate on enjoying your rides, increasing your fitness and gaining confidence. You can start worrying about shoes and other accessories later. Though considering tools and repair kit to take on your rides might be something you should think about soon. Others have already asked so have a play with the search function to find useful threads and discussions - but don't let me put you off asking questions if you can't find answers.
Well done on what you've achieved so far.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Thank you, Bystander, I like to put my feet where ever it suits on the day, and know that when I stop I won't fall over as I did when I originally had foot cages and leather straps to contend with, If I'm going up a difficult hill it's instep or heel and on the flat it's instep to toe, this way I feel comfortable, so I removed my old metal foot cages early on and now get a better more confident ride. I do Have 2 Puncture repair Kits in my saddlebags and an assortment of tools ie, spanners tyre leavers plyers so although this makes my bike 🚲a couple of kilos heavier its nothing compared to the 17 stone it's already carrying.

plustwos

no doubt 🤷‍♂️ I will get used to it after a few weeks of gentle rides, still a bit wobbly and nervous in traffic but gaining confidence already.

Yep, I've been back on a bike for eight weeks after four years off it and I feel very vulnerable in traffic. Just got back to left foot on pedal, scoot off and throw right leg over saddle and away. Didn't fall off. Success.
Ken

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Congrats Ken, ( Plustwos ) I know how you feel about the traffic, The wind lash of some of the cars who like to go past at speed and close enough to kiss you in passing really takes years of your life span, I tend to sweat not from exertion but from fear of it being my last ever bike ride on this earth.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Well, I am back on the road again and really enjoying it, and thank you annedonnelly for your interest, I hope the weather holds up so I can get more practise and get rid of the Wobbles, not yet as confident as I used to be, but hopefully, with a further few hours under my belt I will get better.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I see members talking about clipped and non-clipped trainers, and it is over my head, can somebody explain please, I just use ordinary shoes and they seem to do the job alright.

Just ride in normal footwear using normal flat pedals. 99% of the stuff you read on cycling sites about clipless pedals or even old-school toestraps is irrelevant to the average leisure or utility cyclist.
The only people who care about this are those who consider themselves "serious cyclists" and obsess about even tiny percentage performance advantages. For the everyday rider who just wants to do a few miles for fitness or to pop down the shops, flat pedals and normal shoes is going to make absolutely no difference except you can walk around off the bike without looking like a duck.

P.S. Hi-vis can be a good idea in traffic, for a bit of extra road presence. I do sometimes wear it but I never bother with helmets. There was some research that concluded that motorists actually overtook helmet-wearing riders closer than those not wearing them, but that's a topic in it's own right. I often look more like a workman than a cyclist, especially when I'm riding a flat bar bike, and I don't generally get much hassle or many close passes. The trick is to be assertive enough to not let drivers push you off the road, but not ride obstructively where it pisses them off to the point they want to have a row with you.

Top Bottom