About Time ⌚

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jacktar

Regular
High folks ( new Member ) I've had a Dawes Star Celest for about 25 years, covered by an oil skin bike cover in the shed, rode it once.
Well, I thought now or never with this lockdown I have been sat in this house for weeks and no exercise just the car to Morrisons once a fortnight, too afraid to go out and risk getting infected with the Virus. so it's out of the shed and I have started to give it a clean and polish, Must get a high vis jacket and some lights, it's in remarkable condition considering its age, all I have to do now is pluck up the courage to ride it, or put it back in the shed for another 25 years.
Wish me luck.
Jacktar.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
:welcome:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Go on! Throw a leg over and ride! Hi vis not required and lights only at night, so don't let them delay you unnecessarily.

Maybe see if there's a local group online where you could find someone to show you some good routes, socially-distanced.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Thank you for your Reply's, it's nice when you get a response and thank you for your welcome, well if high vis vests are not essential then I shall give it a go, but don't I need a helmet ⛑ will the boys in blue be feeling my collar?.
Will wait until the rain clears up though, first time out must be perfect conditions I don't want anything unforeseen to put me off on my first trip out.
Once again thank you for your welcome.
Jacktar.

The Bystander

Über Member
The sooner you get out there the sooner you'll have that big grin and feeling of satisfaction of the first ride under your belt.

No need for a helmet or high viz, maybe waiting for good weather on your first go is excusable :whistle: . Take it easy, don't go too far first time and you'll be fine.
:welcome:.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Thank's for the info, have checked tyres they seem sound and I pumped them up two days ago and they are still solid so no leaks so far. will as you say keep the first trip easy and short, but if you happen to be out and about in the Tamworth area and you see some fool keep falling off his bike that will probably be me.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Well I finally managed to pluck up the courage to get on it today, and before I get ahead of myself, thank you all for the replies, now back to the bike ride, it was good to feel the freedom of the open country road, and that's as far as it went, about 2 miles out one of the two gear change cables snapped, was I depressed or what, luckily it was in a gear that I could manage with much effort to get back home, and did I give it a good telling off when I got it back into the shed Lol.
So now I have to find a bike shop in Tamworth and get a new cable and try to remember after getting the old one out to measure it how to thread the new one in.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Well, I'm off now to the two wheels only bike shop on the A5 Watling street to get a new gear change cable, I will let you know how helpful they were, when I walk in the first one to smile and look at me with interest is the one for me, because anyone with a miserable look is "A" going to rip me off or "B" not going to be helpful, and I need help, so here goes will report back later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Well, I'm back, were they Smilling NO, were they miserable No, were they helpful No, They were not dam well there, place locked up tight as a drum, closed Mondays would you believe, still my own fault I should have gone online and checked opening times, will try again in the morning and report back.

OP
OP
J

Jacktar

Regular
Ok, Thank's for that plustwos, Never gave them a thought, I am going down there now to see if they can help, will let you know how I get on shortly.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well, I'm back, were they Smilling NO, were they miserable No, were they helpful No, They were not dam well there, place locked up tight as a drum, closed Mondays would you believe, still my own fault I should have gone online and checked opening times, will try again in the morning and report back.
Remember a lot of shops are having to operate reduced hours at the minute.

Hope you get the cables at Halfords & get back out on the bike soon.

Top Bottom