80's dream bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
20240831_175835.jpg

I spent the afternoon building up my late 80's Clamont.

I've had the frame for a few years now and have been collecting parts for a while now. The plan was to build a bike that had all the components I dreamed of when I was younger but could never afford when they were new.

The 61cm frame uses Columbus SL tubing, and is in it's 5th and final (for now) incarnation.

It has a full 7 speed Shimano 600 Ultegra "Tricolor" groupset from the early 90's and Mavic Open 4 CD wheels on Tricolor hubs.

It rides better than I hoped, can't wait to head out for a decent ride!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Those brake levers look uncomfortable to use.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Headed out for an early morning ride for the first hit out- it went well.

It was a bit of a trip down memory lane really. The riding position was already sorted, the main difference is the components and wheel set (Mavic Open 4 CD's).

I've already used these wheels on another bike but not with the Clamont as I've generally had a more modern set on there.
These wheels suit the bike perfectly and running the 25mm tyres at 90 psi gives a relatively smooth ride, even on the coarse chip and rough roads around here.

I've had Tricolor components before but never the whole lot at the same time.
I'm sure it's a mental thing but everything just works together beautifully. The bike is comfortable to throw around out of the saddle more than my other bikes so I'm looking forward to doing some climbing on it.

Overall weight with pedals is just under 10 kg so nothing special but lighter than a couple of my other bikes.

I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out.
20240901_071248.jpg

20240901_063734.jpg

OP
OP
B

buzz22

Über Member
Do you use steps, or stairs to get down to those drops? :-)

I'm not down in them too much but when I am it tests the hamstrings 👍

Top Bottom