64 Bianchi Gran Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zrudeboy

Morning,
My first post so I apologize for any deviation of process. I've done quite a bit of searching across Forums etc to find guidance on the year of the bike in question.
The stamped serial is 44464, this is partially the reason I assume it is a 64. I have heard in some years the first digit was the model year.
Id love to understand what is not stock on the bike. My understanding from the original owner is that the initial rear derailer was a simplex which I have (Brevet6 Prestige-Simplex). The quill is not stock. I believe (guess) that it original came with a hand stamped TTT quill similar to the supr'.
Any assistance on how far off I am in my assumptions here?
Any resources I may have missed?

I have additional photos and can take any requested

Attachments

• 20240701_102338.jpg
    20240701_102338.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240701_102313.jpg
    20240701_102313.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 61

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's the weirdest stem I've ever seen.
Reminds me of this Charles Addams cartoon:

Screenshot_20240701-200616.png

'64 might be correct. If the Simplex Prestige is the original derailleur that could fit in with the earlier series of Prestige. Could you post a pic of it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zrudeboy

Certainly! See attached.
I can also photo the campy's that are on it. It was a single owner before me and the replacements may be those on the high model choices.

Attachments

• 20240701_155920.jpg
    20240701_155920.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240701_155859.jpg
    20240701_155859.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 14

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Morning,
My first post so I apologize for any deviation of process. I've done quite a bit of searching across Forums etc to find guidance on the year of the bike in question.
The stamped serial is 44464, this is partially the reason I assume it is a 64. I have heard in some years the first digit was the model year.
Id love to understand what is not stock on the bike. My understanding from the original owner is that the initial rear derailer was a simplex which I have (Brevet6 Prestige-Simplex). The quill is not stock. I believe (guess) that it original came with a hand stamped TTT quill similar to the supr'.
Any assistance on how far off I am in my assumptions here?
Any resources I may have missed?

I have additional photos and can take any requested

Nice :becool: but that stem :eek:.................very strange

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm no real expert but that looks like the Prestige 537 which was redesigned in 1965 with features that appear on yours. Info gleaned from a derailleur site.
So the evidence supports guesstimate that yours is a '64 made frame and is as probably as close as you'll get to knowing the exact date.

Screenshot_20240702-094116.png

AndyRM

XOXO
Lovely bike, but as others have said that stem is bizarre, I've never seen anything like it!

I really like the pattern on the 'Bianchi' text - hard to tell but it looks almost floral? Again, a new one on me.

The colour is beautiful too, very vibrant.

There were-perhaps still are-various stems like that. Cinelli made a rising version of their Pinocchio in chrome-plated steel. Nitto had various models, meant for MTBs they were often used on road bikes by people with back problems or perhaps just the desire for a more upright position.
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/nitto-stem-comparison

OP
OP
Z

zrudeboy

Lovely bike, but as others have said that stem is bizarre, I've never seen anything like it!

I really like the pattern on the 'Bianchi' text - hard to tell but it looks almost floral? Again, a new one on me.

The colour is beautiful too, very vibrant.

The pattern is just wear on the solid read. My photography skills are poor

This one's got me mildly fascinated!

The Gran Sport decal on the downtube is clearly the model name, but Gran Sport doesn't appear as a fully built model in any of the Bianchi catalogues - unless it was a USA or Japanese model (for which the Registro doesn't have such good records) - where are you based @zrudeboy?

The closest we get is the Gran Sport frameset which was around in the 1960s. See 1960 Bianchi Parts Catalogue scan, below.

1719999449826.png

Which would also fit with it being described as having a Simplex rear derailleur originally, as factory-built bikes were almost exclusively Campagnolo in the 1960s. So it feels like a built-up frameset bought through a delaership and built to the original owner's spec.

The frame is a really interesting mix: the chromed ends and lugs are really nice. The headbadge looks like the rare, mid-60s spread eagle on a cream background:

cb6cc60b502135e89c978580bc660988.jpg

The headset and cottered cranks are suitably 60s (side note: try to find a suitable pin spanner to adjust the headset, don't resort to plumber's or stilson wrench!) while on the other hand the rear dropouts look pressed rather than forged and the seatstay caps are quite abrupt? So it's a mid-range mix of really nice features with a bit of cost-saving thrown in, which, again fits with built-to-order spec.

The stem, of course, is an abomination to a purist but an immensely pratical modification to an owner who is perhaps not as flexible as they were back in the 60s, loves the bike and wanted to keep riding it. Good for them!

Some drive-side, head tbe and bottom bracket photos would be great, if only for vicarious value - it's a cracking bike that will be an absolute hoot to ride. ^_^

Top Bottom