2024 Felt Broam 30 GRX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Had another fettling session last night and got the indexing absolutely spot on.

Took the bike out for a Tri Club ride this morning. I was planning to go out with the development (slow) group as I figured keeping up with the fast group would be a bit of a challenge too far.

Anyway, there was no development group ride this morning. I offered to ride on my own, but I was encouraged to join the small group of faster riders - one of whom wanted to be back as soon as possible due to another commitment.

Anyway, for the most part of the ride I was able to keep up, which was great. I never though I'd be cruising along at 36 or 37 km/hour on the flat (of course, having a wheel in front helps). I did get dropped on the last leg back to the cafe stop - which is pretty normal as the other riders go full gas anyway. But at the point I lost contact, I was doing 42 km/hour.

Also, surprisingly, I was fastest up the two most significant climbs on the route, by some margin. And reviewing the Strava segments, I was in the top 12% of all time riders on one of them and top 14% on the other. Seriously impressive on a bike that weighs 14.5 kg. The bike does climb very well.

I also set my second fastest 30, 40 and 50 km records. And that was despite 21.6 km/h wind that felt like it was working against us most of the ride.

Sadly, on the last leg of the ride the rear shifter became less than optimal - I'm hoping that's just down to cable stretch. So the bike needs to go back in the stand for that to be investigated. I think I'm going to have to change that outer cable and put a larger radius on it so the barrel adjuster is less of a fiddle.

All in all, bang for buck, an £1150 bike giving riders on posh Colnago and Trek road bikes a run for their money ... seems like a great result to me. And I'm nowhere near the fastest rider in the world - I've only been back cycling a year on Tuesday and still feel I've a lot of improvement to do.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Something I forgot to add, worth of a mention.

The geometery is good for what I think is a proper endurance bike. None of this cramped short reach nonsense - which regular/experienced riders don't need - but a sensible stack height which makes all the difference.

Those 35 mm tyres (I'm running them at ~50 PSI) do a great job of soaking up the lumps and bumps.

Once the rear indexing is sorted, this is going to be a fantastic mile eating machine.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can I suggest replacing the inner and outer with either a decent Jagwire or Shimano SP41 optislick. You shouldn't be having all this messing. Cheap cables are a bit of a nightmare with STI and full cable housing.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

@fossyant : The cables outers are branded both 'Felt' and 'Jagwire' !!!

@T4tomo : Stickering and a good layer of dirt (after some wet rides) are there to hopefully deter bike thieves. I might add some electrical tape and duct tape before it gets left locked up anywhere. Anyhow, I think your diagnosis is spot on. In any case, that short tight loop is putting too much tension on the barrel adjuster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom