1995 Hardrock GSX project - right decision?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi,

After my son's vitus was stolen, a friend has kindly given me a 95 Hardrock GSX.

It was neglected, so I gave it a good degrease and clean up and changed the headset bearings as they were shot. Although the right hand shifter works, the left doesn't and if not original, everything else looks old - the tyres need replacing as does the chain and cassette.

I'm wondering if I could use it as a project and on a budget - convert it to a 1x, change the tyres, replace the grip shifter with a lever (new grips), put on v brakes, and get a quill adapter and put on a new stem and handlebars. I'd need new cables and possibly a seatpost and seat. (Is that it??)

I'm not 100% on the 1x conversion, but there seems to be some talk of using a cutdown 9 speed cassette (so 8 of the cogs). Or I guess I just get a replacement 7 speed cassette and crankset.

I've not priced things up but after his last bike was stolen, I'd rather not spend too much on a replacement.
Son needs a bike but I can't make my mind up if going down this route makes sense or if I should just look for a 200 quid MTB or hybrid second.

Any advice would be great as I can't make up my mind what to do!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
You might as well just buy a decent 2nd hand bike. You can get something decent for about £100. Your project will cost more but of course its upto you?

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

You might as well just buy a decent 2nd hand bike. You can get something decent for about £100. Your project will cost more but of course its upto you?
Thanks - I'm looking to see whats out there

Putting a 1x on it kinda defeats the object of a cheap project.
The LHS shifter will almost certainly work after a good rinse of WD40 or whatever.
Should make a usable bike without too much money or effort.

The 1x was a thought as it needs a new chain and with that it will need a new cassette as thats on its way out.

I'll try the wd-40 trick - thanks

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm always in favour of adapting the bike you have (if it fits).

As budget is limited what is the least you can do to get this bike ready to use?

Wd40 the left hand shifter, if that doesn't work can you get a good used one from a local bicycle recycling project?

Gillstay

Veteran
Looking through your list of improvements, feels to me like you will end up with a £200 bill. I have just sold two good bikes at that sum.
Both different, but in good nick and serviced, so you could save yourself a lot of effort and just buy something already done.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Looking through your list of improvements, feels to me like you will end up with a £200 bill. I have just sold two good bikes at that sum.
Both different, but in good nick and serviced, so you could save yourself a lot of effort and just buy something already done.
Yeah agreed I've got my eye out for something.

Top Bottom