11-32 to 11-34 10 speed, do I need 2 extra links ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
No. At most one, and probably none. Try the current chain, but check on the stand in big/ big before riding.

Find the dealer manual for your rear derailleur. This for instance is the manual for some GRX rear derailleurs. The instructions for determining the chain length start on page 11.

You can search for Shimano manuals here. I'm not sure where to find manuals for other brands derailleurs, sorry.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A single link takes two teeth on a rear cog.

The chain will only wrap around 1 more tooth for this change (it only goes around half the total).

So you need only 1/4 of a link adding to go from 32 to 34.

Which is why you will not need more than one new link, and probably none.

I would recommend:

(1) try the current chain, on the stand. If it runs in big/big, you can use the current length. If not, you need an extra link.
(2) replace the chain with a new one either way (always a good idea with a new cassette)

There's no need for any calculations , manuals etc.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Find the dealer manual for your rear derailleur. This for instance is the manual for some GRX rear derailleurs. The instructions for determining the chain length start on page 11.

You can search for Shimano manuals here. I'm not sure where to find manuals for other brands derailleurs, sorry.

Why would you need the manual? 😭

I assume the OP has eyes? They can fit the 11-34 and then determine whether they need a longer chain, or whether to cut the new one to same length as the old one.

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

with my 32 cassette I run 111 links plus a quick release, if I want to retain using the quick release......would I need 113 links for the 34 cassette ?

sorry for all the questions, I know bog all about this stuff :reading:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

No need, as long as the chain will go around Big Sprocket and Big Cog without threading through the rear mech and has a link overlap you're good to go

Why would you need the manual? 😭

I assume the OP has eyes? They can fit the 11-34 and then determine whether they need a longer chain, or whether to cut the new one to same length as the old one.
Because reading the manual will address most assumptions.
Do we know the OPs chain is the correct length in the first place? No we don't.

Top Bottom