105 Front Derailleur wont fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Welch

Morning I've upgraded my Claris 8 speed groupset to 105 all well apart from the front derailleur doesn't fit the seat post snuggly and there's play in it even after fully tightened. Is there a hack for getting it to fit tight it's a simple band on type

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Coke can shim?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Measure the external diameter of the seat tube, then measure the front derailuer internal diameter then buy the correct sized shims to make up the difference from your local bike shop.
Failing that, as @Dogtrousers says, cut up a tin can and wrap it around the seat post to take up the slack.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe buy a replacement band of the correct size? I'm sure that they must be available.

Or ask on the forum if anyone has something they could donate?

I don't have callipers for measuring the diameter of tubes to make sure to get the correct size. My hack is to close the Jaws of a 30 cm (12") adjustable spanner on the tube and then measure the distance between them.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

Daft question the old Claris front derailleur fits perfectly is there any reason why I just can't use this with the new 105 set up

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Daft question the old Claris front derailleur fits perfectly is there any reason why I just can't use this with the new 105 set up
I reckon that would work.

About my previous post... I was thinking of band-on to braze-on adapters. I had one on a bike that didn't have a braze-on tab. My suggestion wouldn't work if the 105's band is permanently attached.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Aluminium drinks can is the perfect shim material. No bodging involved. There was even a book about it.
You can't leave us hanging like that. What book?

Mind you, there may be no bodging involved in the hands of a skilled mechanic. But I'm afraid whenever I do things like that, they are bodged.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

If the FD/ Shifter pull ratio is same on Claris to 105 then no issue - but you'd need to check the technical documents to determine that. (or just try it!!!)

The RD / Shifter pull ratio is definitely different between 8 and 11/12 speed shimano (you haven't specified what type of 105 it is!)

Top Bottom