What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Great ride, although the weather usually plays a part..... Ice or rain ?
I've done it a few times now, but the year before my first one was the icy year, someone in our club broke their collarbone. Dampness is normal!

Got Chalke and Cheese this weekend though, looking a little breezy on the way out. It's the same event that started my RRtY off last year, so feel I should try and make it round slightly tidier this year. I probably won't, will be a scrabble to the wire again!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The Henham Brazier Run 100 in Feb, five weeks away, probably ECE it to 200km. Got some route checking of my own events before then. Probably route check in 100km sections this time of year, so I can see the conditions of all the roads whilst it is still daylight.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Any of you RRTY heroes want to share your stories?
I know the H word is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I'll take it. ;)

I saw a comment from a "traditionalist" not long ago suggesting that RRtY should have a 50% rule to prevent it becoming too easy. From my RRtY heatmap it's pretty clear what game I was playing. There is actually one 100km calendar plus ECE buried in there so it wasn't totally DiY:

The rides were much like those I'd've been doing anyway, but surprisingly I did find the formality required to qualify them as Audaxes quite stimulating. Had it not been possible to achieve RRtY this way, I would not have joined Audax.

I don't imagine I'm particularly unusual, but I'll try to send something to Dr Jaskowska.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"easy" is a slippery term. The difficulty of doing calendar events is - for me at least - getting to the start. After that there's getting home, then there's sorting out receipts and info controls. The cycling is the "easy" bit.

But there's nothing easy about riding 200k month in month out. Especially for those of us who are not blessed with super speed. That's why I don't plan to try it.^_^

Fiona R

I know the H word is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I'll take it. ;)

I saw a comment from a "traditionalist" not long ago suggesting that RRtY should have a 50% rule to prevent it becoming too easy. From my RRtY heatmap it's pretty clear what game I was playing. There is actually one 100km calendar plus ECE buried in there so it wasn't totally DiY:

View attachment 499630

The rides were much like those I'd've been doing anyway, but surprisingly I did find the formality required to qualify them as Audaxes quite stimulating. Had it not been possible to achieve RRtY this way, I would not have joined Audax.

I don't imagine I'm particularly unusual, but I'll try to send something to Dr Jaskowska.
El isn't looking for unusual, just the story behind your RRtY and what motivated you to do it which includes the how you did it.

By 50% rule do you mean 50% calendar events or something else like climbing ratio?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
El isn't looking for unusual, just the story behind your RRtY and what motivated you to do it which includes the how you did it.
Absolutely, I get that, which is why I'd like to contribute!
By 50% rule do you mean 50% calendar events or something else like climbing ratio?
The person meant that at least 50% of rides should be calendar events, as with championship points AIUI. I can sympathise to an extent; if I'd been going to calendar events here there and everywhere at all times of the year for my RRtYs, I might feel a bit miffed at these newbies getting exactly the same with namby-pamby DiY by GPSs.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the article - plenty of scope for controversy!

Fiona R

Absolutely, I get that, which is why I'd like to contribute!

The person meant that at least 50% of rides should be calendar events, as with championship points AIUI. I can sympathise to an extent; if I'd been going to calendar events here there and everywhere at all times of the year for my RRtYs, I might feel a bit miffed at these newbies getting exactly the same with namby-pamby DiY by GPSs.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the article - plenty of scope for controversy!
A friend has several RRtYs running consecutively and rides a mix of calendar but a lot of one particularly convenient and flat diy to fit in with life. I’d never thought about others’ approaches as affecting the status of mine. I’m glad I gave myself the challenge of riding a lot of different calendars an ECE and just a couple of DIYs but I never did get desperate enough in any month ride his emergency very flat one. I liked that mine were varied as that’s the whole point of exploring. Rode some with others and some alone too. I’m lucky to be in Bristol with quite a choice of calendar events within easy reach. Yesterday was 18km to start but still mental anguish getting up at 5 to leave by 5.45 to start at 7. I failed in my resolution to cycle home as exhausted and slow puncture but not too far for my husband to turn out and fetch me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Cranky Knee Girl it's nice to see your name on the Roll of Honour :smile:. And for the moment mine is still one of the "latest additions". I'll bask in the glory while I can...

I'm telling myself that I'm going to break the sequence this month and not start another RRtY. I'd really like to do something different; the Randonneur 5000 and Super Randonneur awards look quite a stretch but in many ways they seem to complement one another. For example, riding 200s on three consecutive days should be good preparation for a 600/700, as well as making a healthy contribution to the Randonneur 5000. And I'm liking the idea of not having to do anything serious until the days have grown quite a bit longer.

I already have a detailed plan for a DiY 700. The extra distance qualifies for a lower average speed, giving a time allowance of 52½ hours for a bare 700 kilometres, so it can be spread over three days. Translating into miles, and using my home for the overnights, the individual routes I've created are 119, 198 and 119 miles, which doesn't look so scary. I'd like to hit 198 exactly, an ironic tribute to Steve Abraham's heroic efforts of 2017/18.

If I'm successful, I will have accomplished all my realistic distance cycling objectives. I'm then hoping I'll be able rediscover the world of carefree touring before my time runs out. :hello:

Fiona R

@Cranky Knee Girl it's nice to see your name on the Roll of Honour :smile:. And for the moment mine is still one of the "latest additions". I'll bask in the glory while I can...

I'm telling myself that I'm going to break the sequence this month and not start another RRtY. I'd really like to do something different; the Randonneur 5000 and Super Randonneur awards look quite a stretch but in many ways they seem to complement one another. For example, riding 200s on three consecutive days should be good preparation for a 600/700, as well as making a healthy contribution to the Randonneur 5000. And I'm liking the idea of not having to do anything serious until the days have grown quite a bit longer.

I already have a detailed plan for a DiY 700. The extra distance qualifies for a lower average speed, giving a time allowance of 52½ hours for a bare 700 kilometres, so it can be spread over three days. Translating into miles, and using my home for the overnights, the individual routes I've created are 119, 198 and 119 miles, which doesn't look so scary. I'd like to hit 198 exactly, an ironic tribute to Steve Abraham's heroic efforts of 2017/18.

If I'm successful, I will have accomplished all my realistic distance cycling objectives. I'm then hoping I'll be able rediscover the world of carefree touring before my time runs out. :hello:
I was pleased to see your name on the Roll of Honour too. Sent off for my badge now.

I have some plans this year but am also keeping options open. I have seen Adam Watkins' theory/video about 700s making a 600 for an SR more realistic due to the sleep possibilities. Taking into account he travels almost twice my speed, I didn't even see him on Saturday! :laugh: Last year I did a 175 followed by a 240km next day. I haven't done a 300 or 400 yet but they are major aims.

I need a couple more AAA points for my AAA award and an RAAATY is also logical, although it's so annoying how high meterage rides often don't count (like C&C, there were several blocks of big and steep hills) and other more benign ones do count. Carefree touring is definitely in the plan. I love that! In the meantime I've decided to continue with RRtY as it's lifted my fitness level and really makes me focus. Having done the Festive 500 I haven't dropped back, it's so awful getting fit again that I'd rather not let it drop if I can help it.

Top Bottom