what is a cyclist and................Are you a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got to say: if being called "mamil" is the worse name you've ever been called, then you are very lucky. If it's not, why all the angst?

(Personal to @Flick of the Elbow, I've been the victim of all sorts of abuse, I also know I am very privileged. I'd be very interested to hear your experience - or the experience of others you have heard - of being called a mamil. I am totally prepared to back down and apologise. I've found it a useful word, if you can show me why it's a problem I'd be grateful)
The problem is that the word is a form of sexist abuse.
When my 40 something wife dons her lycra and goes out for a ride nobody bats an eyelid. In fact many on this forum would applaud her for it.
When I do the same I am ridiculed as a MAMIL and all the assumptions that go with it, eg that I ride sportives, that I only ride to work if it's sunny, that I drive to work on a Monday, that my bike is 'too good' for me, that I'm a failed wannabe pro racer etc.
The only difference between us is our gender.

martint235

Dog on a bike
When my 40 something wife dons her lycra and goes out for a ride nobody bats an eyelid. In fact many on this forum would applaud her for it.
When I do the same I am ridiculed as a MAMIL and all the assumptions that go with it, eg that I ride sportives, that I only ride to work if it's sunny, that I drive to work on a Monday, that my bike is 'too good' for me, that I'm a failed wannabe pro racer etc.
The only difference between us is our gender.
Really? I can't remember the last time I took any of my bikes out without wearing lycra. Do people really think this of me? Although to be fair, I often think Lelly is way too good a bike for someone of my ability.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

I've never had any of that.

I'm quite happy to be called a MAMIL as that is exactly what I am.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've never had any of that.

I'm quite happy to be called a MAMIL as that is exactly what I am.
See, I'm not so sure about that. While you may literally be a middle aged man in lycra, to me there's more to it than that and from what I've seen, you fail on several key MAMIL indicators. Ask yourself these questions:
  • Do you prefer Audax or sportive? Do you refer to a sportive as a race?
  • Are you happy with a good solid, functional midrange groupset such as Shimano 105, or must you have the top of the range even if you're not quite sure exactly what's so "top" about it?
  • A good set of handbuilt wheels or flashy lightweight low spoke count factory jobs?
  • Real food or gels?
  • Do you "train" or do you just go for a bike ride?
  • The "H" word?
I think you get my drift, ;).

Incidentally, I had a quick glance through @Flick of the Elbow 's posts to see his bikes. A CdF with a rack, and Merida MTB. Hardly MAMIL machines. I even thought I saw mention of a tandem. A tandem?MAMILs don't ride tandems! @Flick of the Elbow , even if you are literally a middle aged man literally wearing lycra, I don't think you qualify as a MAMIL in my book :smile:.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a MAMIL. Admittedly it can be hard to tell as my hummvees conceal my Lycra undershorts. But it's there, trust me. MAMIL and proud of it. And yes, I do enjoy the odd sportive now and again. I even swallowed an energy gel during my last one. Yum yum. (FSV of yum)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The "H" word?
Haemorrhoids? ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
16 out of 24 hours would get you into the desired category if all you were doing is cycling, but a quick look at your post count makes it clear you must be posting on here whilst cycling and although not illegal it is sufficiently naughty to disqualify you from using the noble title of Cyclist.
Can I put your name down for the second 20 hour stint. Doesn't matter about the weather, you'll still need to be out.
That'd leave me doing the first and third 20 hour stints.

@steve50, how would you class nine trips, minimum, up Mill Lane?

classic33

Leg End Member
Well I've two volunteers, sofar, Snorri and RedRider. Twenty hours a piece. And if RedRider wants to get up to a bit of body dismembering, there's room for the parts.

Top Bottom