Vintage frustration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'm not after "answers", so much as a knowing smile and a little encouragement.

Earlier this year I took a punt on a "vintage" (early 90?) Ebay bike that hadn't attracted the usual attention, after the flat-barred hybrid I'd been labouring around on (I don't drive) for four years was knicked.

£100 plus £25 for the courier struck me as pretty reasonable.

In fact, once I tore open the cardboard I was pleasantly surprised, if not excited: true she was showing her age, but aero profile tubes (more of them later) and a mix of "second tier" Italian components (Gipiemme, Ofmega, Modolo etc) was more than I could have hoped for.

Having no other transport and a job to get to, she was straight into action: bar a popped spoke, a puncture and dumping the derailleur into the wheel (cf: popped spoke) due to "operator error"/it being one of Simplex' less admired works (http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Simplex_SX610_GT_derailleur.html), I have had faultless service!

Now that the dark months are here, I have refurbished an old Pug (mudguards, low gears, fat tyres) to see me safely home and also give me the opportunity to lavish some much needed attention on the "Summer bike" (full strip down, respray etc, etc).

One of the first things I noticed, was that although I had "cool as funk" Modolo America levers, the actual calipers were something unpronounceable from Taiwan!

After much patience and not a little nail biting, I secured (from Hungary) a pair of NOS Modolo America calipers complete with original Modolo blocks: for £40, not unreasonable I think.

Second up was the seat post: it was too small, the binder bolt was pinched right up, distorting the tube into an oval and making a mess of the clamp.

Again, more patience and I have NOS Selcof and used Campag Record posts (from Italy and the US). Not to mention a NOS Gipiemme seat post binder bolt...

So where's the frustration?

1) The levers are non-aero; the calipers are aero (the cable enters on different sides; but you already knew that, right? I do too... now). It can be made to work but it is so "Italian" that you can have matching levers and calipers that don't, er... match!

2) Although round where they enter the lugs, because the tubes become "aero" (oval) I can't get enough of the (27.2mm) seat post into the tube to be safe (60/65mm). Best guess is that I need a 27.0mm pin and a shim but certainly I'll need to cut it length rather than just enjoying the convenience of raising or lowering the post.

Perhaps it is because I spent my teens on the side of various A roads across the country, up to my elbows in the guts of blown-up Lambrettas that I forgive this triumph of Italian form over function, just for the brief thrill of her dangerous beauty?

Either way: I'd rather skin my knuckles to the bone, waste countless pounds on parts that were bettered a decade or more ago and swear a thousand oaths to deaf deities for just one Summer on this svelte slice of 531c sex-on-23s than a lifetime of certainty on the bloated tubes of your "Honda".

You're right; you win: there is no doubt that your "2013" is a better bike! Now move over, you're blocking their view of us...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
pictures?

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Some pics here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110719219827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And after a little spruce up: Photo-0010.jpg

As she stands now: Photo-0086.jpg

Note the shifters: they are Gipiemme "coke spoons" like these (http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=B0CAFFC2-639E-404C-AC4A-68FFE3C5063B&Enum=104&AbsPos=3) but on a single, Gipiemme made, mount rather than either side of the tube. Not seen that before, has anyone else?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
£100 plus £25 for the courier struck me as pretty reasonable.
Very reasonable indeed !

Note the shifters: they are Gipiemme "coke spoons" like these (http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=B0CAFFC2-639E-404C-AC4A-68FFE3C5063B&Enum=104&AbsPos=3) but on a single, Gipiemme made, mount rather than either side of the tube. Not seen that before, has anyone else?

I've got the Gipiemme "coke spoons" shifters on one of my bikes; they are very hard to come by and I've seen them go on Ebay for over £40. IMO, they are great shifters.

I've not see the single mount before - make sure that you don't part with it !

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Beautifully tactile and "yes" they'll stay with the bike. As the mount is Gipiemme they must be a production model, but rare as hens teeth, never seen another bike with this set-up.

Does anyone know anything about the tubes: would they have been formed into ovals by the framebuilder or Reynolds?

Also, if I got the frame and forks on the scales would I be able to pin down what tubeset it is?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Beautifully tactile and "yes" they'll stay with the bike. As the mount is Gipiemme they must be a production model, but rare as hens teeth

The 'normal' Gipiemme shifters (which are a version of the {excellent} Simplex shifters) are in themselves, very rare indeed. I've never seen ones like yours, which have a Gipiemme mounting.

Also, if I got the frame and forks on the scales would I be able to pin down what tubeset it is?

Using scales will give an indication of weight; as will finding the diameter of the seatpost.

Beautifully tactile and "yes" they'll stay with the bike. As the mount is Gipiemme they must be a production model, but rare as hens teeth, never seen another bike with this set-up.

Does anyone know anything about the tubes: would they have been formed into ovals by the framebuilder or Reynolds?

Reynolds formed the tubing into the oval shape, the called it "Speedstream".

(Edit, I can't open pubrunner's links, they might be all about Speedstream for all I know.)

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks for the info HF, you've made my year... almost!

According to this, Speedstream was for lugless frames and my bike, like its owner, has smashing lugs!

If you edit PR links down to ...images/ then you will be able to select from a list.

Many thanks for your interest.

Top Bottom