Views on (Fend) / folding bicycle helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

I tried the Hedkayse (non-hinge) folding helmet today. It's not bad.
Pros: Comfortable, looks okay, feels solid.
Cons: Only up to a headsize of 56.5cm : The strap tightening mechanism is fiddly and the price at £150 is double all the others. It sort of folds in on itself, like a base-ball glove rather than like a piece of engineering. The fold size is about 55% so still quite bulky. I felt it might look a bit grubby after a relatively short period of use.
https://www.hedkayse.com/?gclid=Cjw...FGxvd_rEnifv9ATHM8MMapGkTs442IlhoCFV0QAvD_BwE

People still :blush:wondering why a folding helmet ? Because if you get the right one you can fit it into a backpack and that's less of a hassle than backpack AND helmet. It means off-road, park and tow path cycling on sunny days you can lose the helmet and at the office / work meetings you can store it away.

The hinged hissie-fit. Hinged condoms ? Well i hear some men's members aren't so straight. But as already established in this thread, emerging designs include new uses of materials which don't have hinges.

The question here is what do the EN-1078 tests consist of, noting it's primarily tested solid helmets historically ? That said, these folding helmets are passing that standard. So anxieties beyond that are about the exception to the rule ????:bicycle: I have a few myself. For example how do the soft geometrical structural-material folding helmets stand up to an impact with a pointed object or sharp edge ? Others think the whole project is unhinged generally. I disagree, i think there's a market for folding helmets because there are so many different kinds of cyclist/contexts.

For me, i'm taking it that the majority of impacts i'm likely to face if they occur, are falling/being thrown off my bike onto a hard surface. If i'm run over, that's another matter and i'm not sure any cycle helmet is designed to survive being driven over by set of lorry/car wheels anyway. My main concern is hard surfaces.

Hope to have a look at the contentious hinged model: Overade Plixi later next week.

sp

hatler

Guru
thanks folks:

1. Avoiding being knocked off bike = leave my home town of London - not an option.
Just to dispel any possible misunderstanding here, cycling in London ≠ getting knocked off.

icowden

Veteran
Also "London" is quite a loose definition of about 33 square miles. I've never come off my bike in London, but have twice in Surrey.
But then I cycle between Waterloo and London Bridge, usually on roads with dedicated segregated cycle lanes or almost no traffic.
Closest call I have had was with a slippy wet drain cover!

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

I've lived in London for 48 years and i've cycled from the age of 5. I've been knocked off my bike just once in London.
A 4x4 in Chelsea reversed over my bike with me on it trying to nab a parking space and then tried to blame me for being behind her. Only the front wheel was damaged.
That said i had several early morning near misses which could have been fatal. That was before the age of the cycle lane super highways.
The problem with cycle lane superhighways is that they encourage fast speed cycling with a sense of entitlement. Pedestrians, especially in town, may not be aware of road layouts or the complicated business of multiple direction looking when crossing a road. Hence increases in cycle collisions with pedestrians.
There are still plenty of dangerous junctions tho.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Overade Plixi update:
https://www.overade.com/shop/en/plixi#/2-taille-m/11-color-black
So i viewed an overade plixi folding helmet at condor cycles in Holborn London and i rejected it: :ohmy:
1. I was a large size which was a 1/4 size bigger in mass than a small solid helmet - so folded, it was only 1/4 size smaller than a small solid helmet - not much point in buying it.
2. The large size felt like i had half of the set of Star Wars on my head.
3. The over-all feel was a bit too plastic for me - a bit too flimsy. Looking at the nearby solid helmets felt more reassuring.

Conclusions :
1. Hedkayse was attractive, available in UK but over priced:
https://www.hedkayse.com/products/hedkayse-one-black
2 Fend isn't available in UK so couldn't do a proper review - was worried about it's size and being over vented.
https://fend.io/
3 Diamond and Park looks the most promising new-comer but still not available in the UK so unable to do a review
https://www.park-and-diamond.com/

hope that's of interest.
s

hatler

Guru
Also "London" is quite a loose definition of about 33 square miles. I've never come off my bike in London, but have twice in Surrey.
But then I cycle between Waterloo and London Bridge, usually on roads with dedicated segregated cycle lanes or almost no traffic.
Closest call I have had was with a slippy wet drain cover!
So, in 43 years cycling in London you've been knocked off once. Were you wearing a helmet and did it prevent an injury ?

I'm still struggling to see that for someone who's been cycling around this long feels that there is an overwhelming necessity to wear a helmet. Sounds like you're already doing a pretty excellent job of cycling safely, and have years and years' worth of experience to keep you safe in the future.

hatler

Guru
Doh ! I'n being daft, apologies, I meant to reply to Snazpizaz's post ; -
"I've lived in London for 48 years and i've cycled from the age of 5. I've been knocked off my bike just once in London."

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

If you read the thread in full you'll find your answers. To recap: I'm hitting middle age and the consequences of impacts / head injury from falls increases with age. I want to fool proof riding into my 60s. etc. No i've not ridden with a helmet before. Yes cycling in London has changed much over my life time. Yes i've even been a cycle courier on an old indian bicycle. (no gears) and finally yes - I've only had one collision in all that time. Actually a 4x4 in Chelsea reversed over my bicycle trying to park so it was an act of vandalism more than anything.

People die and get run over cycling in London a lot and it gets a disproportional amount of reporting. ( We don't read much about cycle deaths elsewhere but i'm sure they occur all the time.) But London is a big place and people cycle in all different kinds of ways.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
People die and get run over cycling in London a lot
No they don't.
and it gets a disproportional amount of reporting
Yes, it does.

Real stats on cycling safety are easily available. The total number of cyclists killed in the UK has hovered around 100 or a bit more for as long as I can remember, and in London the number has been up and down between about 10 and 15 for the last 10 years or so.

It's time for my favourite article again. The excellent Jo Wood at City university wrote it after the last "London is dangerous for cycling" scare story. The story hasn't changed since.

https://www.gicentre.net/blog/2013/11/24/risk-cycling-and-denominator-neglect

Warning: the text is easy to read and understand, but the pictures will need a very good pair of eyes and a humongous monitor if you want to look at the stats in detail.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

thanks
that's quite heady reading. I was wondering if the cycle super high ways and the rise of electric bikes might keep those stats high ?
I've been doing more research on the park and diamond folding helmet.
They're drawing on uncomfortable stats around the number of people who dont wear helmets at all and that relationship to cycle road deaths. The company name 'park and diamond' comes from a road junction where one of the founder's sister experienced a head injury as a student cyclist and was in a coma for some time. (Thankfully she recovered.)
sp

vickster

Legendary Member
I tried the Hedkayse (non-hinge) folding helmet today. It's not bad.
Pros: Comfortable, looks okay, feels solid.
Cons: Only up to a headsize of 56.5cm : The strap tightening mechanism is fiddly and the price at £150 is double all the others. It sort of folds in on itself, like a base-ball glove rather than like a piece of engineering. The fold size is about 55% so still quite bulky. I felt it might look a bit grubby after a relatively short period of use.
https://www.hedkayse.com/?gclid=Cjw...FGxvd_rEnifv9ATHM8MMapGkTs442IlhoCFV0QAvD_BwE

People still :blush:wondering why a folding helmet ? Because if you get the right one you can fit it into a backpack and that's less of a hassle than backpack AND helmet. It means off-road, park and tow path cycling on sunny days you can lose the helmet and at the office / work meetings you can store it away.

The hinged hissie-fit. Hinged condoms ? Well i hear some men's members aren't so straight. But as already established in this thread, emerging designs include new uses of materials which don't have hinges.

The question here is what do the EN-1078 tests consist of, noting it's primarily tested solid helmets historically ? That said, these folding helmets are passing that standard. So anxieties beyond that are about the exception to the rule ????:bicycle: I have a few myself. For example how do the soft geometrical structural-material folding helmets stand up to an impact with a pointed object or sharp edge ? Others think the whole project is unhinged generally. I disagree, i think there's a market for folding helmets because there are so many different kinds of cyclist/contexts.

For me, i'm taking it that the majority of impacts i'm likely to face if they occur, are falling/being thrown off my bike onto a hard surface. If i'm run over, that's another matter and i'm not sure any cycle helmet is designed to survive being driven over by set of lorry/car wheels anyway. My main concern is hard surfaces.

Hope to have a look at the contentious hinged model: Overade Plixi later next week.

sp
Get a Deuter backpack with the helmet pouch, then you can easily transport and store any helmet :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
thanks
that's quite heady reading. I was wondering if the cycle super high ways and the rise of electric bikes might keep those stats high ?
I've been doing more research on the park and diamond folding helmet.
They're drawing on uncomfortable stats around the number of people who dont wear helmets at all and that relationship to cycle road deaths. The company name 'park and diamond' comes from a road junction where one of the founder's sister experienced a head injury as a student cyclist and was in a coma for some time. (Thankfully she recovered.)
sp
You mean they're very selectively using stats to promote their sales pitch, while ignoring significant stats that disagree with their objective?

And why do you think they didn't name the firm after an incident where someone was wearing a helmet and still was in a coma?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
And why do you think they didn't name the firm after an incident where someone was wearing a helmet and still was in a coma?
Because there are no such incidents?:wacko:
As any fule kno, wearing a helmet entirely prevents any head injury.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They're drawing on uncomfortable stats around the number of people who dont wear helmets at all and that relationship to cycle road deaths
I'd love to see them. Because I've looked for a long time, and as far as I know they don't exist.

I suspect they are cherry picking stats to use as a marketing tool. Using the near death of a relative to shift product, however well-intentioned it is, is not cool.

Top Bottom