Venice for dummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One thing to be wary of if staying elsewhere, Padua in our case,
and catching the train. The "slow" trains are very cheap, but don't make the mistake of catching the fast train home with a slow train ticket. I'd misunderstood the ticket lady as saying we could return on any train, but seemingly not, so got charged a hefty penalty fair. It was annoying extra cost rather than robbery to be fair and the railway guard was apologetic. We were given a proper ticket and receipt so it wasn't a scam or anything.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
One thing to be wary of if staying elsewhere, Padua in our case,
and catching the train. The "slow" trains are very cheap, but don't make the mistake of catching the fast train home with a slow train ticket. I'd misunderstood the ticket lady as saying we could return on any train, but seemingly not, so got charged a hefty penalty fair. It was annoying extra cost rather than robbery to be fair and the railway guard was apologetic. We were given a proper ticket and receipt so it wasn't a scam or anything.

Ours was a local train, a little DMU, I think, that looked like it was being held together by a combination of paint, dirt and chewing gum.
This was a few years back though as there were also loco hauled services.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The cruise ship business "ruined" Venice, in terms of
  • wash from them damaging the lagoon and buildings
  • moored in the main canal spoiling the view
  • overcrowding it with with day visitors spending nothing on food / drink / accommodation bar a coffee in St Marks Square - hence the jacked up prices.
there is some sort of ban now reimposed for the biggest ships, but a lot still get ferried in on smaller boats or buses.

I remember watching a series about a cruise ship around those parts a few years back now and Venice was included. Huge ships like that just looked totally out of place!

The main reason for me saying this though was the ship featured brought a wry smile to my face later, as it was none other than, the... Costa Concordia!

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Do a bit of research and find restaurants, cafes etc away from the main tourist areas. It's easy to end up with expensive, ordinary tourist food if you aren't careful

Ferry to Islands like Burano is nice and inexpensive

If you want to experience a Gondola but don't want to pay a lot, take the Traghetto...this is the public gondola crossing the Grand Canal and costs EUR2 one way

Visit the Rialto Market

Take a Free Walking Tour

I did a Kayak tour around some of the canals which was great fun. We also took the water taxi from the airport to Venice which was spectacular but not cheap. You need to book this. Alternative is to take the ferry. Much more exciting than the bus from the airport (which we took back to the airport)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I will add, trip advisor is really good for planning restaurants etc. Did it for Prague and Amsterdam, just spot on for the restaurants (price vs quality). This was after my brother's best man planned all the restaurants in Budapest via trip adviser. Was fab.

Spend a few hours looking for what you want and where you will be that day. You can then book the good places before hand.

sheddy

Legendary Member

D

Deleted member 1258

Take mosquito repellent.
I've never been anywhere quite so "bitey" outside of Scotland in the midge season!

Yes that was our experience the last time we were there, staying at Lido De Jesolo and spending a day in Venice, we were a bit eaten till we found something that worked.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I remember watching a series about a cruise ship around those parts a few years back now and Venice was included. Huge ships like that just looked totally out of place!

The main reason for me saying this though was the ship featured brought a wry smile to my face later, as it was none other than, the... Costa Concordia!

Been to Venice on a cruise , I agree it’s not right . Think they put out a ban on the very large ones . Would love to go back for a long weekend . I agree re expense . St Marks square silly . Back streets much more reasonable . If you get the chance to go , you should . The architecture is beautiful!

icowden

Veteran
Avoid any restaurant with a menu board over 1.5feet in size. Avoid any restaurant selling Pizza. Try and eat at places off the beaten track and where the locals go - you will get much better food. Venice cuisine is largely seafood, so anything else is imported.

Do you like GeoCaching? There is a great GeoCache trail around Venice which will take you out of the main tourist areas and show you some really interesting parts of Venice.

A Gondola ride is a must do, but the fares are now regulated so you shouldn't get ripped off.
If you haven't booked yet, the days before Carnival can be an excellent time to go. We stayed for less than half price in a suite in Hotel Ca'Sagredo one of the oldest and grandest hotels in Venice. Avoid summer - it's very hot and very smelly. For 2024 a stay there is £611 for 3 nights at the end of Jan as opposed to over £1500 a week or so later when Carnival starts.

Explore, explore, explore!

Last edited:
Top Bottom