Venice for dummies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tell me everything I need to know about Venice.....things to do, where to stay,

I'm a bit boring travel wise - I've been to Lanzarote loads to times and I'm very happy with that. I'm not that adventurous - and like everything laid on - so I'm thinking a hotel would be best ?

Any suggestions welcome ?

61lfbNh7DAS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Once you've bought your scuba gear, four things worth knowing:
- it's not like Lanzarote
- it's amazing.
- arrange a bank loan before visting Harry's Bar, or buying brunch in St Mark square. Apart from that, it's quite an affordable place to spend a few days.
- you can't cycle (except in the little bit that round the station that isn't really "proper" Venice.

Once you've bought your scuba gear, four things worth knowing:
- it's not like Lanzarote
- it's amazing.
- arrange a bank loan before visting Harry's Bar, or buying brunch in St Mark square. Apart from that, it's quite an affordable place to spend a few days.
- you can't cycle (except in the little bit that round the station that isn't really "proper" Venice.
:okay:

1683625262518.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1258

Just be prepared for it being expensive. I believe if you grab a coffee etc a few streets back from the main square its more reasonable.

The last time we were there we found a small back street Pizza place for lunch and it was quite reasonable.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I am fortunate to have been a couple of times over the decades - it obviusly doesn't really change.
When looking for somewhere to eat, go to the edges of the main touristy bits to the side streets and you will invariably find decent, traditional restaurants. Even if it is out of the usual Lunch time or early evening, you can usually get served.
Head over to Murano to see the amazing glass creations.
Take a watertaxi to or waterbus to knowhere in particular
Take a Gondola - Evenings are best IMO

The youth hostel gives you a good view of St Marks Sq, from across the water, if you stick your head out of the dormer window.
The Academie Gallerie is good. Go first thing, pref on Sunday.
Check out Gehetto the Arsenale and the glass blowing workshops in outer islands. Rick Stein had a good liver and onion venice style in one of these islands.
https://www.rickstein.com/blog/rick-stein-from-venice-to-istanbul-episode-one-friday-7th-august/
You can get coffee at more reasonable prices in the non/less touristy or university parts.
You can get lion doorbells from the few hardware shops.

Top Bottom