Triggering an inductive loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommieinkorea

O.k. here's the problem. The current employer uses some form of sensor to allow egress from the facilities. I have been unable to trigger this thing when heading out on my bike. Usually there is no keypad on the inside ( getting in is easy). I think it must be an inductive loop, not RFID, as random cars have no problems getting out. So it's the traffic light sensor problem. Ideas ?

OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Oh, I have tried jumping up and down, random chunks of ferrous metal on the sensor lines, laying the bike down on the sensor (Brompton extra light(S6RX D)).

Sharky

Guru
We use a car park in Bromley. There is a clear sign which says drive slowly to the rubber strip and wait for the barrier to open. Too many cars we've seen, drive over the rubber bump strip, right up to the barrier and nothing happens. We follow the sign, after experiencing the same, and the barrier always lifts up.

Perhaps something similar in your case and the senser is further back than you imagine?

Good luck

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When we were allowed to cycle out the yard at work ( not now due to elf and safety ) . I remember having to get one side of the chainset cranks pointing down for a bit to trigger the loop . Seemed to be a knack to it ?!

Drago

Legendary Member
In the dibble we had an old car brake disc someone had brought in. Slide it onto the pitch of tarmac with the coil, voila. Slide it out the way readymfor next time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our multi storey barriers don't respond to bikes, bloody pain if you squeeze past and a car then activates them. I use the alternative exit.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In a former work building, bikes did not trigger the barrier. Other than the intercom, which for an existing system is unlikely to be installed and requires someone to actually answer it, the alternative solution was a piece of ferrous pipe that was left permanently by the sensor. Even on the upward slope of the car park exit, it was straightforward to drag it with the sole of the left shoe, trigger the barrier, and then role it back.

Alex321

Veteran
The exit barrier from out office car park doesn't normally react to bikes - I think I have triggered it once in over a hundred exits. But it is possible to get around the end of the barrier on a bike by going up on the kerb and down again the other side.

Gwylan

Veteran
Angle grinder and cut a few feet off the end of the pole. Still too long for cars to pass.

Put up a sign forbidding pedestrians to pass that way. Robert is your mother's brother.

Alex321

Veteran
Angle grinder and cut a few feet off the end of the pole. Still too long for cars to pass.

Put up a sign forbidding pedestrians to pass that way. Robert is your mother's brother.

We already have signes prohibiting pedestrians on the access road. Totally ignored by all (including myself when I drive in), as the actual office car park doesn't have nearly enough spaces, so we normally park in the multi-storey across a roundabout from the access road (we have a season pass for that paid for by the company).

This is the access road (barrier is out of sight behind bushes)
1692781551524.png

And this is looking the other way to where most of us park when driving in.
1692781638829.png

Top Bottom