Tights over bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobdaspider

Regular
I prefer using regular running / gym tights (at £20 each) over shorts, as it means I can wear the tights for between 4 and 6 rides before they need to be washed and obviously just wear clean shorts for every ride. The alternative is to buy bib tights at £80 each (re one use before wash) meaning you'd have to buy 4 or 5 of them for a week's riding = £320 to £400.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
attachment.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I prefer using regular running / gym tights (at £20 each) over shorts, as it means I can wear the tights for between 4 and 6 rides before they need to be washed and obviously just wear clean shorts for every ride. The alternative is to buy bib tights at £80 each (re one use before wash) meaning you'd have to buy 4 or 5 of them for a week's riding = £320 to £400.

You can get unpadded cycling longs, bib & otherwise, for wearing over shorts.

bobdaspider

Regular
You can get unpadded cycling longs, bib & otherwise, for wearing over shorts.

Thanks Ian - I have looked for these options without much success. I do have one pair of unpadded cycling longs which are a few years old but in good condition. It just doesn't make sense to have 5 pairs of padded cycling longs when you can have one pair of unpadded cycling and shorts - shorts which are used all year round. I'm assuming that companies like Wiggle / manufacturers are keen to sell the padded options as they cost more meaning they make a greater profit...?

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
Spotted two riders still in shorts yesterday, going very fast, obviously to avoid getting cold...................

I'm still wearing shorts on the bike, but have the arm warmers on almost every ride now. Won't be long I suspect until I'm wearing long sleeved jersey, and leg warmers.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Thanks Ian - I have looked for these options without much success. I do have one pair of unpadded cycling longs which are a few years old but in good condition. It just doesn't make sense to have 5 pairs of padded cycling longs when you can have one pair of unpadded cycling and shorts - shorts which are used all year round. I'm assuming that companies like Wiggle / manufacturers are keen to sell the padded options as they cost more meaning they make a greater profit...?

I've never tried to buy shorts or longs online, but a google-search for 'unpadded bib longs' brought up several options.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm still wearing shorts on the bike, but have the arm warmers on almost every ride now. Won't be long I suspect until I'm wearing long sleeved jersey, and leg warmers.

i managed a ride to work yesterday afternoon in shorts , like you say its close to the point where that will cease

Jameshow

Veteran
The advantage of this is that it allows you to use old shorts that have worn a bit thin for plenty more years- just be sure to keep them separate from your good shorts!

On my lejog pre COVID, in Scotland I wore padding tights over padded shorts and my backside thanked me, come lunch time it had warmed up around fort William and I was able to remove them!👍

Top Bottom