The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
FA Cup 4th Round Draw 🙏

PaulB

Legendary Member
Best in 60 years...

They're good but that's going too far.
Barcelona have slipped but for a few seasons they were far superior.
Man. City while not being great this season were in my opinion better 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if many Liverpool fans would agree this was their best team in 60 years.
Going back to my youth...
Leeds United 70/71 were a great side who looked unbeatable in domestic football.
Came a cropper when they came up against an even better Scottish team though.
I'd agree and I've been going for 56 years in total and haven't missed too many games in that time.

If Barcelona were superior - and weren't playing in a league of two teams - then why couldn't they have beaten THIS Liverpool in the semi final?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'd agree and I've been going for 56 years in total and haven't missed too many games in that time.

If Barcelona were superior - and weren't playing in a league of two teams - then why couldn't they have beaten THIS Liverpool in the semi final?

On that basis, City are definitely better, having beaten THIS liverpool over the whole of the last two seasons, not just in a single tie

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What, in Europe? And how many points are they behind right now?
I will assume he meant the two previous seasons, not the one they're playing. This would be the two previous seasons in which, yes, they set two of the top three PL points record finishes (the third was last year's runner up...), ones in which they won then successfully defended the League Cup, and won the FA Cup, but also the ones in which they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage, by English rivals, twice. And lost to Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup.

roubaixtuesday

I will assume he meant the two previous seasons, not the one they're playing. This would be the two previous seasons in which, yes, they set two of the top three PL points record finishes (the third was last year's runner up...), ones in which they won then successfully defended the League Cup, and won the FA Cup, but also the ones in which they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage, by English rivals, twice. And lost to Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup.

Haha.

The poster claimed *THIS* liverpool side was better than Barca because they beat them in a one off tie last year.

If last year's performance is the benchmark, City are the better side.

To be clear, Liverpool are better this year, and have done incredibly in the league. The table doesn't lie.

But until they match the awesome record of this City side over the last two years, no one can seriously claim they're the best domestic side evah.

And pool aren't going to claim that domestic treble this year.

Come back in two years time, if they've actually won a few trophies.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Haha.

The poster claimed *THIS* liverpool side was better than Barca because they beat them in a one off tie last year.

If last year's performance is the benchmark, City are the better side.

To be clear, Liverpool are better this year, and have done incredibly in the league. The table doesn't lie.

But until they match the awesome record of this City side over the last two years, no one can seriously claim they're the best domestic side evah.

And pool aren't going to claim that domestic treble this year.

Come back in two years time, if they've actually won a few trophies.
I can, and do. And Liverpool have won three trophies in the last six months. Does that qualify as 'a few' then or does your arbitrary 'two years' still stand?

"Awesome record of this City side" :laugh: Did they become Champions of the World?

roubaixtuesday

I can, and do. And Liverpool have won three trophies in the last six months. Does that qualify as 'a few' then or does your arbitrary 'two years' still stand?

"Awesome record of this City side" :laugh: Did they become Champions of the World?

Have a lie down. Come back when you've won back to back titles.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Have a lie down. Come back when you've won back to back titles.
Liverpool won LOADS of back-to-back titles when you only had Dennis Tuart's goal to console you so I won't be taking advice from you. And you shouldn't be here at all until you've won ONE European cup, never mind six, eh, with your oily billions.

roubaixtuesday

My reference to "Best domestic team I've seen" refers to this seasons side, not what has happened in the last thirty years. I think that if this Liverpool side played the best Barcelona have ever put out they'd be superior.

If I were you I'd wait until the team actually won a domestic trophy before claiming any such - I just had a quick look and it seems to be eight years (!) since you did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.#Domestic

PaulB

Legendary Member
You haven't won a title for 30 years. Claiming you're the best team evah seems, to put it as politely as possible, a little premature.
You've never won the European Cup. EVER. If I were you, and thank the vicissitudes of great good fortune I'm not, I wouldn't be crowing about anything.

Top Bottom