Suggestions wanted comparable to Specialized Roubaix Elite.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ribble or PX's sportive bikes are good competitors. Remember though, Spesh has the lifetime warranty on the frame !

martint235

Dog on a bike
Judging by their website PX don't do the sportive anymore. Shame really, I've just bought one with SRAM Red on it for £1800 and it's a great bike (with lifetime warranty on the frame).

Worth having a look at the PX website though as some of their deals with SRAM kit are really good. If you're not in a rush, the last time PX took the sportive off the website it was to source different frames from Van Nic.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Ebay might have something if you are confident in checking its condition. or how about this years secteur comp? It has 105 and carbon forks and rear stays with an aliminium main frame. DC Lane and alexvs have both just got one, might be worth sending them a pm for their thoughts, they did seem happy with them.

Edit: just to say im very happy with my secteur and roubaix. either one, ya cant go wrong.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ebay might have something if you are confident in checking its condition. or how about this years secteur comp? It has 105 and carbon forks and rear stays with an aliminium main frame. DC Lane and alexvs have both just got one, might be worth sending them a pm for their thoughts, they did seem happy with them.

Edit: just to say im very happy with my secteur and roubaix. either one, ya cant go wrong.
Thanks-very kind of you to take the time. It's my retirement present to myself^_^so want a carbon frame.

PaulSecteur

When i brought the roub i knew i would have it for years, so i had to make sure it was the right bike too. if you want a tripple for the range of gears, why not look at the roubaix with the 10 speed tiagra? Im sure it might only be a compact but it comes woth a larger rear cassette range, or at least can handle one if its not supplied with one. i think maybe a 30 tooth cog will go on but double check if its important to you. if i were buying now its the one i would have, i o ly got the elite with 105 because i brought it as the 2012 bikes were coming in and i got a decent discount

PaulSecteur

Just checked, it does have a 30 tooth. the low range should be similar to a conventional tripple with a 12 25. no doubt someone will be along with a gearing calculator to prove me wrong.

Cube agree GTC triple gives you carbon and 105 for 1.25k or the pro throws in a smattering of Ultegra for a smidge over 1.5k

luv spending other peoples money:laugh:

amaferanga

Veteran
£2000 for a bike with Shimano 105 and Fulcrum Racing 6 (same as 7 or 5?) wheels is insane. The frame really isn't that good and its one of the ugliest carbon bikes around.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I considered one of the lower end Roubaix models (the Comp, IIRC) when I was buying my nice road/audax bike a few years ago. I really liked it a lot, but in the end I went for the Felt Z35. Ride-wise, there wasn't much to choose between them, but the Felt was about £200 cheaper and seemed to have slightly better components (a mix of 105 and Ultegra; plus the stock wheels seemed better). It just seemed to be a bit more bike for the money. I've been extremely happy with it. It's very comfortable over long distances. I reckon I would have been equally happy with the Roubaix though.

I reckon the Z5 in the current Felt range would be worth looking at.

d.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm staggered at the current prices.
When I bought my 2009 Roubaix Elite full 105 it was £1300.
Have they really gone up that much in price in such a short space of time?

DrLex

merely the moocher
[...] and its one of the ugliest carbon bikes around.

These "the thing you like? It sucks!" posts are rather unnecessary. Are you expecting the OP, having read your opinion, to smite his forehead with his palm and expostulate "of course! I was so blind; thank you Mr Amaferanga for opening my eyes and pointing out the error of my ways! Five stroke of the lash and a trip to Halfords are my punishment."

I have a dog in this fight - a Roubaix Elite, so I'm obviously biased. I think the Volagi bikes are among the most attractive available. However, I appreciate the fact that there are so many styles and types available. Your comment about value is spoiled by a childish dig. Canyon and Rose bikes, together with Ribble and Planet X do challenge the Trek/Specialized/Giant Hegemony for VFM bikes.

Happy Friday, all!

Top Bottom