Solar Production Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
It's been a good month, just had the bill and got £233 credit from export on flux. They hasn't billed me for gas since the end Feb and the £233 covered the gas for march, April and may plus the electric for may with £20 going onto the account balance.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’m guessing flux is really only good if you export loads ? In which case no point for me as usually we use all ours plus whatever is in the battery .

It makes little sense for us to charge the car off the solar now - we are better paying for cheap energy at night and sell our solar during the day.
You really have to know how to work solar to get the best value don't you ? I'd imagine there's lots of people who have it and its not making anywhere near as much return as it could be.

I’m guessing flux is really only good if you export loads ? In which case no point for me as usually we use all ours plus whatever is in the battery .

Aren't you seeing 30KwH a day now ? You can't be using all of that in one day surely ?
I think Flux should make sense for the summer months and then swap back.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Aren't you seeing 30KwH a day now ? You can't be using all of that in one day surely ?
I think Flux should make sense for the summer months and then swap back.

Not often do I break 30kW . In fact only once this year ! My problem is I’ve got two at home during the day . Power gets used up , doing washing or TVs left on/ cooking lunch etc . Be different if house was empty . I really need to look in more detail . Only been running 4 months , still learning .

chris-suffolk

Just edged over £350 for the month on export. By the time the next payment date comes round at the end of June, will be looking at a cheque for about £1100. Not too bad for 3 months!!

Not often do I break 30kW . In fact only once this year ! My problem is I’ve got two at home during the day . Power gets used up , doing washing or TVs left on/ cooking lunch etc . Be different if house was empty . I really need to look in more detail . Only been running 4 months , still learning .

TVs shouldn't use too much. Immersion heater is a massive drain though. I hope they're paying their way - they need to learn the importance of saving energy!

chris-suffolk

What tarrif , size of panels and what do you generate / use ? FIT or SEG ?

It's about 71p per kw, with a 4kw array on the old FIT tarrif. I use most of it, but still get paid to generate.

D

Deleted member 26715

It makes little sense for us to charge the car off the solar now - we are better paying for cheap energy at night and sell our solar during the day.
You really have to know how to work solar to get the best value don't you ? I'd imagine there's lots of people who have it and its not making anywhere near as much return as it could be.

I'm torn between staying on Agile incoming & 15p export against Flux,

Buck

Guru
Flux for summer and Agile for winter seems to be the view of the many.

We’ll have to monitor Octopus’s pending new rates and decide from there.

D

Deleted member 26715

Currently exporting around 6kw overnight at 15p then buying that back at 10-11p so the battery is full in the morning so that as soon as the sun is shining we're exporting

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thought I'd wake up the thread and report that I now am a member of the Solar club. Install was finished on 17th of this Month and I've been getting used to the nuances and novelty of my system. I ended up with 5.25Kw of panels on a 150 degree facing roof. This is couple to a 6Kw Solis inverter and a 13.5Kwh Givnergy " All In One " with Gateway. My Local DNO has set an export limit of 7.36Kw.
I am with Octopus and still on the Flexible tariff for now while I look into the options of Flux vs Agile. I subscribe to a YouTube channel " Gary does Solar and find that really informative.
Niggles: the system was commissioned in late afternoon and I'm struggling to remember the password I chose for the A.I.O. I'm working my way through the documentation for changing the password but finding it abit of a slog due to post Lurgy brain mush.
I chose not to have a Solar Diverter fitted as the figures seem to show that it would never pay for itself. I'm about to fit a " Smart Switch " to the immersion heater so I will be able to set schedules and control it remotely.
All in all, very pleased with the system, When my head is back to normal I shall look to setting up an automation to take full advantage of the various options, and hopefully learn from others who have more experience and knowledge.☀️☀️

Top Bottom