Shutter Precision dynamo query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Really pleased with a hand-built dynamo wheel I bought back in Spa's new year sale, paired with a Busch & Muller lumotec headlamp.
Have enjoyed many hours of evening and night rides - it's absolutely "brilliant", a huge upgrade from my old battery lights.

But after rerouting the electrical cable I've noticed a problem. There's a lot of friction between the spoke flange and the adjacent collar that houses the electrical connector; so much so that the collar rotates as you cycle, pulling on the cables, and neatly wrapping them into the trough marked in the pic below.

Eventually the cable pulls sufficiently taught to stop the rotation, but there's enough tension in the wire to pull my headlamp out of alignment, so my worry is the wires could pull right out of the connector, plunging me into the dark - probably on a fast descent at 2am!

Simple solution is to wind a long bolt through a mudguard eyelet; if it stops a few mm short of the spoke flange, it'll be sufficient to act as a 'stop' to halt the collar rotation; problem solved.

Is this normal?
Tightening up the QR makes no difference.

1715164142849.png

si_c

Guru
In my experience, no that is not normal.

The collar should have some resistance as you turn it in relation to the hub, but it should also be notched and not turn in conjunction with the main spoked part of the hub. I've not had the issue you are experiencing with my hub which is a SP PD-8.

Top Bottom