Self employed jobs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpydad

as a gardener of over 10 years to be in the same list as dog walkers is an insult, up until recently I had 10 domestic properties and 4 church yards to look after, from about April through to September it's a minimum of 48hrs a week, as for cheap to set up I own over £6000 of equipment plus van. During the peak mowing season I get through 40 litres of petrol a week in the mowers, leaf blower, strimmer. Then there's the occasional proficiency tests for spraying, chain saw use etc, oh and don't forget the waste licence you need to carry green waste, plus the cost of getting rid of the green waste, in my area I can't use the local recycling centre because I'm "commercial" I've been self employed for around 42 years, it has it's ups and downs,

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm with @Slick - stick to what you are good at.

My OH has left employment last year when there was a change of owner. She had moaned for years about how much she hated her job and the people (she was in HR). She now hates doing nothing even more and has become a S/E consultant/advisor using her old contacts to find a reasonable amount of work. She can work as little or as much as she wants. It's the skills that count.

That works if you have lots of different clients, but IR35 changes have impacted contractors to a big degree (for me it meant I went onto payroll and now permanent, less money, more benefits)

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
as a gardener of over 10 years to be in the same list as dog walkers is an insult, up until recently I had 10 domestic properties and 4 church yards to look after, from about April through to September it's a minimum of 48hrs a week, as for cheap to set up I own over £6000 of equipment plus van. During the peak mowing season I get through 40 litres of petrol a week in the mowers, leaf blower, strimmer. Then there's the occasional proficiency tests for spraying, chain saw use etc, oh and don't forget the waste licence you need to carry green waste, plus the cost of getting rid of the green waste, in my area I can't use the local recycling centre because I'm "commercial" I've been self employed for around 42 years, it has it's ups and downs,

Apologies...
I guess gardening can be at different levels.

Slick

Guru
That works if you have lots of different clients, but IR35 changes have impacted contractors to a big degree (for me it meant I went onto payroll and now permanent, less money, more benefits)

That surprises me, as IR35 has made zero difference to large swathes of my sector. I expect it would be very different without covid, but my concerns have largely proved unfounded.

vickster

Legendary Member
No idea what they do, but I couldn’t do my role outside IR35 due to multiple reasons. An office based client facing role needing a laptop, company email within a settled team etc. I know others within different industries who’ve had to do the same

My friends son has grown his one man garden tidy up business to now include, patio and drive jet washing, gutter cleaning, fencing installation, painting and decorating and flat pack furniture assembly. He now has so much work that his son now assists him in the business. All his extra work has come from existing customers and word of mouth recommendations.

simongt

Guru
it won't be wee tidy gardens needing a trim, it will be overgrown monstrosities that have been neglected for years.
Last year, I offered to tidy up our neighbours front garden for them. Over couple of days, job done. They were going to Italy; hubby is Italian and they said they'd bring back something as I didn't want paying. Okay, I was thinking liqueur, fine chocolates etc..
What did I get - ? A wee can of extra virgin olive oil as available in pretty much any decent supermarket in Britain. :dry:
Since then, all they've done with said front garden is chuck some decorative shingle on the 'flower bed' and the weeds are back with a vengance. :whistle:
They claimed that they're 'not very good at gardening' but you don't need a degree in horticulture to do the weeding - ! :laugh:

Slick

Guru
Last year, I offered to tidy up our neighbours front garden for them. Over couple of days, job done. They were going to Italy; hubby is Italian and they said they'd bring back something as I didn't want paying. Okay, I was thinking liqueur, fine chocolates etc..
What did I get - ? A wee can of extra virgin olive oil as available in pretty much any decent supermarket in Britain. :dry:
Since then, all they've done with said front garden is chuck some decorative shingle on the 'flower bed' and the weeds are back with a vengance. :whistle:
They claimed that they're 'not very good at gardening' but you don't need a degree in horticulture to do the weeding - ! :laugh:

Exactly. Some people are just lazy and whilst I would have done it happily back in the day, I wouldn't do it now.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was a student many years ago I had a summer job with a garden nursery. My job mainly was being sent out at the behest of estate agents to tidy up gardens which had been left untouched for months before prospective buyers were allowed to view.
I was often sent by service bus from Helensburgh to places miles away carrying a full size scythe with the blade wrapped in an old hessian sack. The fact a scythe was needed indicates the state of the gardens.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I used to be a self employed gardener-had all the gear like strimmers/mower/rotovator etc even had a stump grinder but found the simple approach was better and less hassle. A few choice hand tools secateurs/loppers etc and work for rich people who have all the kit already. I'd have regular jobs all over the place and if i didnt like an employer i would find a better one. Gardening is much better paid now than when i was doing it and if youre knowledgable/qualified there is a niche for giving a complete service rather than just hedge cutting/mowing and the like :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to be a self employed gardener-had all the gear like strimmers/mower/rotovator etc even had a stump grinder but found the simple approach was better and less hassle. A few choice hand tools secateurs/loppers etc and work for rich people who have all the kit already. I'd have regular jobs all over the place and if i didnt like an employer i would find a better one. Gardening is much better paid now than when i was doing it and if youre knowledgable/qualified there is a niche for giving a complete service rather than just hedge cutting/mowing and the like :okay:

Indeed.
I am forced (by health) to employ 2 gardeners. They are very good in that they arrive and blitz it. One in particular is very knowledgeable.
OK I can afford it but do not begrudge one penny of the cost.
BTW....I have 3 good sized gardens (front, side and rear). Lots bushes plus pyrocanthers etc.

dicko

Guru
Window cleaner/solar panel cleaner. Im all set up I have purchased a Deioniser filter plus a long extending pole to clean our house windows and solar panels. Window cleaners charge £20 a month where I live to clean your windows I could get my money back in a day.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I have reached the stage where I could do with a competent gardener to keep my front garden under control but nobody is available here. They only do grass cutting which I get done by a neighbour when he cuts his own and I keep him supplied with petrol.

Top Bottom