Racing bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Psst it's an audax, not a race

who are you talking to?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
. Alot of guys are going down the titanium route to save on weight so weight does make a difference even on the audax/ long distance rides.
Well if they think that then they really don't know what they are talking about.

Reactions: TAV

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'll now have to work with what I've got I may change the triple that I've got on there and put a l x that will save a few pounds.
Au contraire, mon frere. Changing your perfectly good triple to a 1x will cost many, many pounds (and result in a reduced gear range). As far as mass: a heavier cassette v FD plus two rings weight.
What happened to the Dawes Giro Audax which you said was the same as this? Ardasnailz.
1709568160866.png

Posting this has me thinking. The parts of the bike (pictured months before my first scenic audax (Mad March)) that remain are:
frame and fork, seat clamp, brake calipers, crankset, bar end plugs. 'Literally' everything else has (necessarily) been replaced. Even the Brooks Competition had to go (I'd had it from almost new in 76 and it was pulling apart) but replaced with one of 74 vintage.

Attachments

• 1709567268957.png
    1709567268957.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I've just posted the issue I've got with the dawes I'm gutted I bought a groupset for it the original shimano 9 speed it was all ready for assembly but I had a problem with the frame take a look.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I may change the triple that I've got on there and put a l x that will save a few pounds.

Actually it won’t. Most of the weight is the crank arms / spider. You will not even save a pound. If you want to save weight get rid of your dual control shifters and go for separate bar end shifters and brakes.

Most of those I see racing off ahead are usually passed in the first hour because

1. Their wafer thin race tyres punctured on the first audax lane they hit.
2. They saved weight with CO2 inflators but it failed on first attempt
3. The didn’t bring a repair kit to save weight.

or

1. They have the navigational abilities of a lemming which leads to hare and tortoise as they overtake you several times during the event, despite the fact you’re averaging about 5-6 km/h slower than they are.

Sallar55

Veteran
Actually it won’t. Most of the weight is the crank arms / spider. You will not even save a pound. If you want to save weight get rid of your dual control shifters and go for separate bar end shifters and brakes.

Most of those I see racing off ahead are usually passed in the first hour because

1. Their wafer thin race tyres punctured on the first audax lane they hit.
2. They saved weight with CO2 inflators but it failed on first attempt
3. The didn’t bring a repair kit to save weight.

or

1. They have the navigational abilities of a lemming which leads to hare and tortoise as they overtake you several times during the event, despite the fact you’re averaging about 5-6 km/h slower than they are.
You must live in an alternative world. A Garmin is a must have for a racing cyclist , guess who makes up most of the Strava segments. Up in Scotland lots of commuters discovered that a Garmin course was much better than trying to read a route sheet or map . Result an influx of cyclists doing Audax who could not ride in a bunch or be prepared to take a spell at the front. Racing tyres? Have you ever used good quality ones.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A Garmin is a must have for a racing cyclist

Many of them are not familiar with using them for navigation. For performance stats, sure. It’s not the tool it’s the person failing to know how to use it correctly for navigation. After all on club runs and races no need, they just play follow my leader. Why you think audax is stuck with only paper maps and route sheets I have no idea. They’ve been in use by a small minority for a long time. Personally I’ve been using gps on the bike for 21 years.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
I was talking about when the Garmin etrex was introduced , how long ago was that?
I can beat that 1997 gpsmap111 😂 I bet a few others on here were using them in the 90ies.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Google says 2000. I first saw them on Audaxes in ~2007

OK - YOUR turn to google; see when Strava was started (and it was initially for runners).
That's a good one ,as I call a bike ride a run.😄
2000 is about right, bought an Etrex legend ( US map) in 2002. Whitefish Montana in a good cycle outfitters ( as they say in the States)for going down the Great Divide.

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
I thought that it would be easier to ride the carbon fibre light weight specialized tarmac sl4 with carbon wheels over the coming 200k audax but it didn't feel right as most of the guys will be riding their steel/ aluminium rode bikes with mudguard. I know it's not a race so I shouldn't worry. It is definitely harder though on my audax aluminium bike.

but it didn't feel right as most of the guys will be riding their steel/ aluminium rode bikes with mudguard.
That's rubbish - just take whatever bike you feel best on - what others do is up to them. Go ride and enjoy instead of stressing about it

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I remember when you weren't allowed to ride unless your bike had mudguards, and no GPS routes were published. Route sheets were available on the day. A test of your navigational skills. Don't worry about it. Ride whatever bike you like.

Top Bottom