R.I.P. O.J. Simpson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I doubt many will be sad at his passing.

AndyRM

XOXO
The People vs O.J. Simpson was really good, although the irony of getting the relatively short Cuba Gooding Jr. to play O.J. wasn't lost on me.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I didn't expect this thread to kick off quite so soon :sad:

Why not. Most do :laugh:

AndyRM

XOXO
Was that example of "irony" in the Alanis song?
"like an actooooooooooor playing,
someone they don't look very much liiiiike, "

I'm never really fussed about that to be honest. Cruise as Reacher was funny, but there's a certain amount of artistic license which is fair enough.

But I reckon Cuba's hand would have fit in that glove nae bother.

Last edited:
I'm never really fussed about that to be honest. Cruise as Reacher was funny, but there's a certain amount of artistic license which is fair enough.

But I reckon Cuba' hand would have fit in that glove nae bother.

Cruise as Reacher is one of the worst excesses of pandering to a top celeb in the Hollywood pantomime industry. If there's any actor most inappropriate for the part it's a short actor. Creative licence is one thing but when the whole point of the books was this great big hulk of a man that you're likely to be stupid to mess with based on size, bulk and presence. Cruise might be a talented actor but you might as well put a child actor in the part for all the impact he has playing that character. The Reacher from the book, if he existed IRL would probably not feel Cruise hitting him. Most of the bad guys in the book if they were real would rag Cruise's Reacher around like a rag doll. In fact I think they do.

Sorry to rant but Cruise changed the whole feel of the books. The actor in the prime series of Reacher looks closer to the book character. It would be fun to get them in the octagon to make a point!

BTW there was an element of his trial being of the times it was in. Back then there was an even greater issue with the police force in LA. Police brutality against the black community was widely the norm. There were people who actually saw it as black vs white police and legal system. Rightly or wrongly it's likely to be hard for us (probably mostly white middle aged men or older) to fully appreciate this. I do think it was wrong POV but I think it's never straightforward, black or white to use that phrase inappropriately.

The Ruby Wax interview was definitely enlightening on the matter though.

Top Bottom