Permanently attached bike light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
So today it finally happened. Much extremely long lived cateye front light finally died. The cover bounced off and was driven over. :-(

So I need a replacement. This was my 'safety' light. My standby light - always on the bike light. I've no idea what model it was - a cateye from 10years ago. Its most welcome feature was that it bolted onto the bracket. No taking it off and on again, it was fixed in place. Never forgotten, no straps to break, clips to wear out, not easily stealable* it was just there. For ten years or so. Every day.

Does anyone know:
a) what model it was so I can find a replacement. My google-fu has failed me.
b) if there are any other permanently attachable lights out there
c) what the most robust alternative would be. It needs to be on the bike twice a day, every day. Every other light I've had in the meantime - probably at least a dozen "main" lights - has failed. Normally the attachment clip, or else the plastic mount. It needs to be completely weatherproof, it will be exposed to frost sun, and torrential rain. It doesn't need to be super bright, or to throw a beam. It's a "be seen light"

*technically it could be fiddled with, the cover unclips to get to the batteries. (this was the bit that eventually failed) But despite leaving it on in and around manchester, it was never an issue - I've lost other lights that unclip, but not this one. I always had a working light even when I didn't think I'd need one.

Thanks for any useful suggestions - I've posted in commuting, because it's a daily commuting light I need. A robust light.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A photo of yours may help. Even if it is in bits.

Steve

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are't many that 'stay' on the bike. Even if they do, some toe rag will try and rob it !!

Ease of fitting, and robust, british made, not cheap - Hope Vision 1 !!!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The Sparse bike light replaces a stem spacer. So to remove it they would need to remove your stem.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparse/sparse-bicycle-lights

The Fortified light uses a custom screw to keep it secure - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gotham/fortified-bike-lights-that-last-forever-we-promise

The Gothem light is meant to be impossible to steal with tools from a hardware store - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gotham/theft-resistant-bike-light-by-gotham-bicycle-defen

Davidc

Guru
The 'Be Seen' Electron on my bike did that yesterday! Looking at the bits the clip had broken. The clear plastic cover broke, but fortunately I have another from one where the circuit board failed.

Battery lights and their batteries are a favourite for thieves, so need to look at the life of the lamp, its cost, and the likelihood of tampering or theft.

That said. I've had fixed dynamo lights on my round-town bike for some years, and it gets left in public places a lot, and they're still attached. It also has a set of battery lights on it which I remove when I leave the bike. I have thought about gluing the lights to their brackets and seeing what happens but have never done it.

Davidc

Guru
There are't many that 'stay' on the bike. Even if they do, some toe rag will try and rob it !!

Ease of fitting, and robust, british made, not cheap - Hope Vision 1 !!!
For extra security on mine I have a torx M4 bolt and washer I can use instead of the one fitted to the plastic QR lever. Generally though I still use the QR and take the light off every time the bike's left.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use a p4 torch with a mount off ebay as a be seen light.

Kookas

Über Member
There was one I saw that described its led as 'super bright', turns out to be 8 lumens. LOL!

Was it that Sparse one? The comments for that are along those lines.

Brake & gear cables would get in the way too.

Im moving all of our commuting bikes over to dynamo hub driven led lamps one by one. Its such a joy to just get on and pedal and the light comes on. Simples. No more lost or dead battery lights for us.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Was it that Sparse one? The comments for that are along those lines.

Brake & gear cables would get in the way too.
Nah, I didn't include it here as I asked them how bright it was in lumens and with that answer I just couldn't take the product seriously anymore.

That was my aim. This winter just gone I had:
Cable failure at the dynamo end,
Wire to rear light coming unplugged from front light.
Another cyclist run into the back of me and break the wire off the rear light.
Another cyclist knock my bike over causing the rear light to tear a hole out of the mudguard.
I am not convinced that batteries are not simpler.

I'm using the dynohubs to power only the front lamps, less wireage to go wrong. We use battery powered bolt-on Dutch style rack mounted LED rears with rechargeables. Hard to break and can't be stole.

Top Bottom