Pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anonymous

Regular
Hi,

What sorta waterproof panniers do you have? I'd like to go to work, and just have my stuff attached to the side (read: lunch, and NY bike lock) Also, somewhere to keep a water bottle

I'd like it to be easy to take it off, and put it on

Thanks

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Topeak trunk back with fold out panniers, just slides on and off in 2 seconds. Superb piece of kit (do need a compatible rack)

This is as cheap as I've seen it https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/268108-topeak-mtx-trunk-bag-exp.html/227218
To add, fairly water resistant but you can buy a separate waterproof cover

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have Basil Maras (best - waterproofish but don't seal shut so heavy rain may blow in) and some cheap Crivit ones, but the one meeting your description of easy on/off is an old SJS single pannier with its hooks replaced by Ortleib QLs. Nonetheless, most of the time I ride with a longflap saddlebag not a pannier. The single pannier mostly gets used in deep winter when I resent the added time taken to hook the saddlebag on more than the added aero drag of a pannier.

GetFatty

Über Member
Nothing useful to add but I'm following with interest as I expect (and hope) I'll be cycle commuting soon.
Ditto. I'm currently using a backpack as my frame for my Nelson Longflap broke and I'm not sure whether to get a new one or go for a pannier. Key requirement is the ability to protect a laptop. Also I ride fairly small frames for my size (58cm) so there is the question of whether my foot would keep hitting the pannier.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above but slightly cheaper here;
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...UHAY89UpxtMdaaGoeVoLM5O9bK0SerKxoCNfQQAvD_BwE

If you are wanting totally waterproof and are happy to spend more then look for Tubus Racks and Ortlieb bags. I’m not aware of an Ortlieb bag with bottle storage so you would have to use a bottle cage fixed to your bike frame.
£45 in store at Ultimate Outdoors (part of Blacks) yesterday in Kingston, but is more online
Why can’t a bottle just go in the pannier if it’s for use at destination rather than on bike? Just make sure lid on tightly.
also, I often put my bottle in pannier, if leaving bike for any length of time

Hi,

What sorta waterproof panniers do you have? I'd like to go to work, and just have my stuff attached to the side (read: lunch, and NY bike lock) Also, somewhere to keep a water bottle

I'd like it to be easy to take it off, and put it on

Thanks
If you have nothing fragile or heavy I can recommend the Aldi or Lidl roll top panniers. They're about a tenner for a set.
Clip on and off easy - too easy for something valuable or delicate.
Waterproof if fastened properly, but that can be supplemented with a plastic bag.
I used one of them on a daily 40km commute in all weathers as well as for smaller shopping trips. Heavy weight wears out the clips faster.
If using one at a time a set will last a year easily, then get a new set when they're on offer.

If you have anything valuable, fragile or heavy then an Ortlieb is the way to go, in my opinion.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My 2p worth, start with an Aldi/Lidl special and then when it breaks go for the Ortlieb's and never have to buy new panniers ever again. They are a bit of an investment but are pretty much indestructible and clip on and off very easily. I got a couple of years out of the Lidl ones I had, but they were never fully waterproof and the clips broke. I only tend to use one pannier at a time, unless I am also going shopping.

Harry1

Regular
I was thinking of getting a new one in the January sales and I've seen that the Carradice Super C has got good reviews, its waterproof and fits a lot in. I'm not sure how I would attach it? Has anyone got any experience in fitting them? The website describes it as 'quick clipping' but I'm not sure how easy they are to put on and off the bike.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Mine are badged as Edinbugh Bike but are manufactured by Vaude. They're 11 years old and have had a lot of use. They're fairly waterproof but come with waterproof, hi-viz covers which I use when it's very wet. They have lots of useful outside pockets. They clip on & off the rack very easily. The only improvment I'd have made is to have included a shoulder-strap for carrying when off the bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ah, clips! I remember basically four styles: Ortleib QL where pulling the handle up opens a scissory tab under the rack rail and allows you to lift it off (so add a hook or tie if you want security in town), most are basically two springy inverted Us that are narrower at the bottom than top and bend slightly on each fit or lift and will eventually fail but probably after years of daily use (sometimes these have a little flip bar to prevent lifting off at traffic lights but it's annoying if you forget to unflip it when parked), some older panniers have much deeper non-narrowing inverted Us which work in a similar way but rely on the pannier not bouncing up far while you ride, and finally there are some old decidedly not quick-release strapping systems a bit like tiny rucksack ladderlock straps.

I think QLs are best but none except straps are annoying enough to replace with QLs (which are about £10 as a spare part) unless there's another reason (wrong hook size or position).

Top Bottom