Otago rail trail NZ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Anyone cycled the Otago rail trail in New Zealand?

It’s 150 km on gravel. We’re intending doing it as a relaxed leisure trip, enjoying the scenery, food, towns etc. I’m a keen cyclist, but my wife has arthritis, using an e-bike at home. Its a holiday trip, it isn’t intended as a challenge / test.

I’m struggling with the description of the recommendations for the trail. The tour companies seem to recommend 4 to 5 days. I can’t see any reason why 3 wouldn’t be quite straightforward and leisurely. We can hire an e-bike for my wife and get it charged at the accommodation providers overnight. Am I missing something, or is the average person who undertakes it a non-cyclist?

slow scot

Veteran
I did it a few years ago. It took me two and a half days on a road bike carrying camping gear. It is not at all difficult, but very attractive. My Australian friend did it with his girlfriend; she is a non cyclist and did it on an e-bike with no problems. They took, I think, three whole days.
The rail trip to Dunedin to end the trip is fantastic.
Do it west to east for wind advantage.

JoshVT

I did it in 4 days on a recumbent trike. Could probably do it comfortably in 3 on a gravel bike, or 2 if you wanted to push through. That would be no fun, though, as you would miss a lot of the scenery.

I did mine during an early spring snow storm and it was beautiful. I would recommend March as the best month, as the leaves are changing colour and it’s a bit cooler and less populated.

I’m looking forward to repeating in again soon.

Top Bottom