Nylon washer for 50mm pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
Pushfit waste pipe is ~2mm smaller than solvent weld & harder to tighten down, a replacement washer pack (rubber & backing washer) is all that's required. You can't solvent weld pushfit pipe as it's polypropylene not upvc.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Pushfit waste pipe is ~2mm smaller than solvent weld & harder to tighten down, a replacement washer pack (rubber & backing washer) is all that's required. You can't solvent weld pushfit pipe as it's polypropylene not upvc.

True, if I can’t find the washer I could take the little elbow off and find another whole one.

newts

Veteran
True, if I can’t find the washer I could take the little elbow off and find another whole one.

You don't need to take the elbow off. Unscrew the compression nut at the rear of the trap (there'll be enough room to slide the stub of pipe to separate the joint), slide on new washers, reinsert pipe & re-tighten the compression nut on the trap.

Fastpedaller

Aha - the push-fit joint means the piece of pipe to the compression joint is also push-fit pipe. Push- fit pipe (although nominally 40mm diameter) is a bit small than solvent-weld pipe (maybe 2mm on diameter?) This can make it difficult especially when parts aren't new because the rubber hardens as it becomes old, the rubber deteriorates and also may be squashed out of shape and fit when new, but won't when old. I notice the compression is a Nuflo (is that a screwfix 'own brand'?) You could just get a (cheaper) straight connection of the same make and use the seal and ring out of that.
ETA my reply crossed with the other 2 above :smile:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Here is the bend part

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpeg
    IMG_3942.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 5

newts

Veteran
That trap is a Nuflo shallow bath
https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/polypipe-nuflo-traps-bath-trap-and-seal-40mm-white-PBPT1225

try Jewsons for a seal replacement or go the whole hog and turn the trp clockwise to remove the right angle joint and go straight into the long run (depends on how it connects to the right of the photo)

That Nuflo trap is a shallow seal & should not be used if the waste pipe is connected directly to the soil stack. The existing waste pipe is to the rear of the bath, that's why a swivel trap was used originally for easy connection. The threaded elbow that the OP has removed is an integral part of the deep seal trap & should not cause any issue whatsoever if correctly installed. The main issue that's caused this leak is the unsupported waste pipe is sagging/under stress in the area of the push fit elbow adjacent to the trap (you can see that the short stub of pipe is angled sharply downwards where it enters the compression joint on the trap).

newts

Veteran
You don't need to replace the part in your link above, just refit it all with a new washer set I linked in the first page🙄

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
You don't need to replace the part in your link above, just refit it all with a new washer set I linked in the first page🙄
Then you’re manually setting them up hoping they’ll seal. The part has them fitted so it’s plug & play

newts

Veteran
Then you’re manually setting them up hoping they’ll seal. The part has them fitted so it’s plug & play
The mcalpine elbow probably won't fit the nuflo trap as the threaded part is not a BS thread on the mid joint of the existing trap.
You could have just replaced the seals as suggested & all would have been done in 10 minutes. Alternatively just buy a complete replacement swivel bath trap like you already have. You appear to be making a mountain out of a very straightforward & simple repair?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The mcalpine elbow probably won't fit the nuflo trap as the threaded part is not a BS thread on the mid joint of the existing trap.
You could have just replaced the seals as suggested & all would have been done in 10 minutes. Alternatively just buy a complete replacement swivel bath trap like you already have. You appear to be making a mountain out of a very straightforward & simple repair?

4 weeks ago I found that linked seal kit in my airing cupboard. Now it’s gone as I need it. This causes great frustration. I will pick up another but it better not leak. Settled on this, thanks newts.
McAlpine SM10E Bath Trap 40mm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom