New tyre - front or rear?

Would you put a new tyre onto the Front or Rear of your Brompton?

• Front

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Rear

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukoldschool

Ive had my brommie since Aug 2018, and have covered only 1700 km in that time according to Strava... despite using the bike 5 times a week commuting to and from the station on both legs.

I replaced the standard (Marathon racer) rear tyre for a Marathon plus about 6 months into ownership due to a defective sidewall (inner tube bulge) and have now worn the other standard tyre down so have a nice new Marathon plus to put on.
I would always assume to put the new tyre on the rear, given that is where the weight sits, but just curious if anyone would do differently?

:bicycle:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It probably wouldn't matter on a brommie. It would probably be frugal to put the newer one on the back and the older one on the front for even wear.

On an MTB, I tend to put the newer one on the front (unless the rear still has a lot of tread) because it's better to loose the back end than wipe out the front.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Put the new tyre on the front and move the old front tyre to the rear. Yes, it's more work but it ensures you get full life from your tyres without running a really old, hardened, one up front.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Whoever one is worn, I don’t rotate tyres and given I had to make a choice would prefer the good tyre to be on the front. A front tyre failure is no laughing matter on an upright but a rear you can usually stop no issue.

Kell

Veteran
If practicable, I'd always put the new tyre on the front.

As others have said, if one tyre is going to lose grip, I'd rather it was the back.

Top Bottom