My flat tyre caused by a bird seed and 'totalised' BMW experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You can't normally pump a car tyre if the bead has broken free off the wheel. Same as for tubeless bike tyres - it needs a big rush of air to seat it and form the initial seal.

I did manage to seat a tubeless lawnmower tyre with a foot pump once, but it was tiny.

Get you - running tubeless on your lawn mower! :laugh:

Gwylan

Veteran
A parrot farts in the Amazon basin and you get a flat. Par for the course really.
All events are related but I don't understand how.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I managed to inflate and deflate my tyres today to 34 PSI. I found that after Sunday's cock up at the petrol station's airline the two right sided tyres were a whopping 43 and 42 PSI. I let quite a lot of air out then inflated them to the recommended 34 PSI. I must say that in the 3 days since the inflation cock up, my car had felt more bouncy and less bumpy as I drove it. It's a Fiat 500, so believe me, you certainly feel the potholes etc! I'm wondering now if I could inflate the tyres to a fair bit higher than 34 PSI to make my ride more comfy? I've been told that doing so will wear the tyre tread down much faster than if they are at the recommended 34 PSI. If this is so how much faster, as if it's not that much I think I'd rather replace my tyres more often and have a comfier ride. 🤔

tyred

Legendary Member
I managed to inflate and deflate my tyres today to 34 PSI. I found that after Sunday's cock up at the petrol station's airline the two right sided tyres were a whopping 43 and 42 PSI. I let quite a lot of air out then inflated them to the recommended 34 PSI. I must say that in the 3 days since the inflation cock up, my car had felt more bouncy and less bumpy as I drove it. It's a Fiat 500, so believe me, you certainly feel the potholes etc! I'm wondering now if I could inflate the tyres to a fair bit higher than 34 PSI to make my ride more comfy? I've been told that doing so will wear the tyre tread down much faster than if they are at the recommended 34 PSI. If this is so how much faster, as if it's not that much I think I'd rather replace my tyres more often and have a comfier ride. 🤔

I would have thought increasing tyre pressure would give a harsher ride. It's something worth checking after getting new tyres fitted as I've found over the years that tyre centres often over-inflate the tyres when they fit them.

The other problem is that you would probably have less wet weather grip with over-inflate tyres.

Just stick to the manufacturers figures. They've done thousands of miles of development to set these things up for the best compromise in most conditions.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
30-35 psi should befine for a fiat 500.

Dud you know the "new" mini was designed by the same designer?!

Mine's a 2012 Cabriolet, Lounge model. I paid about £3,450 for it a year ago. When I renewed my insurance 2 weeks ago I was told it was valued, if it was to be written off, at £5,000. I thought that was more than it's worth but obviously didn't quibble. I've just looked at the prices for Fiat 500 Lounges and I'm surprised to see they are more or less £5,000 for dealer sales. https://www.motors.co.uk/fiat/500/trim/lounge/year/2012/used-cars/ I know private sales will be less and if I was to trade in my car I'd be offered a lot less than £5.000.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
The Lounge Lizard model?

Thought they were extinct. Overtaken by modern day "predators" in what I know as track suits bottoms

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A track pump should pump up car tyres. I have done so many times, albeit the 165x70r13s on my 205. Most modern cars have much bigger tyres so it could take a long time.

I forgot to mention that when I got over 30 PSI I couldn't press the pedal/foot plate thingy of the pump down by leg alone. I had to stand with one leg on the foot plate, using my whole 10.4 stones :training::rolleyes: in weight to get more air in. To me that means that I wouldn't have the strength to pump anything over 30 PSI into a car tyre using a track pump.:pump:

nc_ohc=fICxczkeCOkAX-pqmox&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I forgot to mention that when I got over 30 PSI I couldn't press the pedal/foot plate thingy of the pump down by leg alone. I had to stand with one leg on the foot plate, using my whole 10.4 stones :training::rolleyes: in weight to get more air in. To me that means that I wouldn't have the strength to pump anything over 30 PSI into a car tyre using a track pump.:pump:

View attachment 685541

Lost the plot on your issues. Too mesmerised by the dashing Red slacks. Kudos :biggrin:

Gwylan

Veteran
Big vote for an electric pump. I splashed on a Makita, which uses the 18v battery.
I already had the battery. A gift from the present Mrs G.
It is wonderful.
Does the bikes and the car. Also does the 65+ psi for the van.

Top Bottom