Missed flight question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Although

I did have some issues myself recently, but I really can't see how it can be anything else.

How many people miss flights and fly out on a later flight?

Got to be a fair few.

Y9u may not be able to see how it can be anything else, but it really is. I don't know of any airline which will not automatically cancel the return flight if the outbound flight is missed. There may be some airlines which allow it, but I haven't come across them.

This is from the British Airways Term of Carriage
"3c10) If you fail to cancel a booking before the check-in deadline for your flight and do not show up for the flight, we may decide to cancel your return or onward reservations."

Although it says "may" my experience is that they do so automatically.

Most airlines have something very similar.

Slick

Guru
Y9u may not be able to see how it can be anything else, but it really is. I don't know of any airline which will not automatically cancel the return flight if the outbound flight is missed. There may be some airlines which allow it, but I haven't come across them.

This is from the British Airways Term of Carriage
"3c10) If you fail to cancel a booking before the check-in deadline for your flight and do not show up for the flight, we may decide to cancel your return or onward reservations."

Although it says "may" my experience is that they do so automatically.

Most airlines have something very similar.

Yeah, definitely a surprise to me, although I'm not sure why as I have had issues in the past.

I assume its different for domestic flights, as that's where most of my issues have been, depending on the ticket type I've booked.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If my wife books a package holiday for us and I miss the outbound flight, will I still be able to use my paid for return leg once I catch up with her at the destination?
As it's a package and not just a flight-only booking, I don't expect you will have any problem. What is the tour operator going to do - leave you stranded at the resort to create problems for them?

If my wife books a package holiday for us and I miss the outbound flight, will I still be able to use my paid for return leg once I catch up with her at the destination?

Meaning no disrespect, I just don't get the point of posting this type of question.
There is only one party that can answer it for you - the company you are making the reservation with. Preferably by email so that there is a written record.

Searching the web reveals that some airlines will allow it and others will cancel the return.
An english solicitor successfully sued an airline for doing that and they changed their policy.
It may be significant that you are booking a package holiday as opposed to a flight.

Changing policy could mean anything from no longer cancelling the return leg, to clarifying in their terms and conditions that they will cancel the return leg to inserting hoops to be jumped through or even additional fees.

If something goes wrong you'll be stranded in your holiday destination while your wife goes home.

Or maybe that's your plan? ^_^

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Meaning no disrespect, I just don't get the point of posting this type of question.

Because there is a huge range of experience on this forum, maybe some people even working in travel. Plus, the local travel agent was closed when I posted my query and I was bored.
I’ll check with the travel agent/tour operator before booking.
Here’s what Tui says…
https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/...turn-flight?catId=261&subcatId=324&docId=1100

other tour operators may vary so check yours. Why do you think you’ll miss the flight anyhow?

Thanks, it could well be TUI we use as we travelled on the same holiday with them before. At the moment, however, they have no holidays in the area yet.

I’d miss the flight because I’d already be in the destination country on a course (on a one-way ticket), with the holiday being timed to start at the end of that. Rather than book everything as individuals; flights, hotel and transfers, I thought my wife could simply book the one week package holiday for us both (it’s cheaper, and transfers are included) and I’d not be in Glasgow to board the flight but would be returning with my wife at the end of the holiday.

I wanted to avoid having to fly home, only to get back on a plane the next day to go back there on holiday.

Package holidays can be a minefield and usually defy logic in many ways.

I’m currently in Tromsø, Norway, and am scheduled to join a tour starting in Trondheim next Friday. The trip I am joining starts from the UK (Manchester or London) and flies to Trondheim via Oslo. I asked about meeting the trip in Trondheim, flying there via Bodø, or Oslo, flying directly from Tromsø.

I got a flat “no, you cannot join the trip midway through“ so am flying back to Edinburgh on Wednesday and them travelling to Manchester on Thursday afternoon for the early flight to Oslo on Friday. Complete madness.

Speak with your planned travel operator to see what they can do for you.

nellietheelephant

There is only one party that can answer it for you - the company you are making the reservation with. Preferably by email so that there is a written record.

It may be significant that you are booking a package holiday as opposed to a flight.

Changing policy could mean anything from no longer cancelling the return leg, to clarifying in their terms and conditions that they will cancel the return leg to inserting hoops to be jumped through or even additional fees.

If something goes wrong you'll be stranded in your holiday destination while your wife goes home.

Or maybe that's your plan? ^_^

"Meaning no disrespect, I just don't get the point of posting this type of question.
There is only one party that can answer it for you - the company you are making the reservation with. Preferably by email so that there is a written record."

Exactly. So let's see how many more of us wade in with our own version of the answer.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Don’ t know about airlines but Calmac ferry company will automatically cancel your return if you miss the booked outward leg.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Don’ t know about airlines but Calmac ferry company will automatically cancel your return if you miss the booked outward leg.

I expect that would be true of all return tickets booked directly with a transport provider. But I’m specifically asking about a package holiday and it looks like at least TUI would retain the return journey for you.

From TUI’s website (kindly provided by Vickster):

I've missed my outward flight and I'll now be making my own way on another flight. Can I still use my return flight?

Yes - you'll still be able to use your return flight if you need it. However, you'll need to contact us so we can let our resort team know.

If you are Flying with a Non-TUI Airline, e.g. British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, etc. please be aware that missing your outward flight may invalidate your return flight or that a fine may be levied by the airline. We recommend calling the airline directly ahead of time to confirm their policy.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If it's booked as a Package Holiday, I'd ask the supplier of said holiday, in writing, what happens if one person doesn't use the outward bound ticket.
Or contact Simon Calder. He knows stuff 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
I expect that would be true of all return tickets booked directly with a transport provider. But I’m specifically asking about a package holiday and it looks like at least TUI would retain the return journey for you.

I've missed my outward flight and I'll now be making my own way on another flight. Can I still use my return flight?

Yes - you'll still be able to use your return flight if you need it. However, you'll need to contact us so we can let our resort team know.

If you are Flying with a Non-TUI Airline, e.g. British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, etc. please be aware that missing your outward flight may invalidate your return flight or that a fine may be levied by the airline. We recommend calling the airline directly ahead of time to confirm their policy.

As long as it’s a Tui flight (they now have sleazyjet a lot as part of their packages too unfortunately, I wouldn’t expect them to do you any favours!)

Ive heard of folk doing it and being on a later flight but I don't believe its automatic and it'll be airline/operator specific, you'll probably have to arrange it before you actually miss the original flight and I would suspect that they'll make you pay through the nose for it.

Slick

Guru

I play golf with a guy and I asked him this and a few other questions about the business and after much discussion, this is what he came up with. It did come with quite a complicated set if reasons why every airline would be different as not all fly point to point and even a good explanation of why you might be able to get a cheaper ticket flying out of Glasgow to New York via London than the person flying directly from one of the London airports which explained why some flights would incur a fine. Long and the short was, as long as you let the airline know, you should be fine, but it is very much dependent upon company and route.

gbb

Legendary Member
Almost certainly NOT. Your ticket will likely be cancelled once you no show for the first leg.

It’s a tactic that airlines employ to avoid people booking a return ticket and only using the last leg to save costs. It works the other way round as they cannot stop that. This is speaking from my own experience.

While I can't verify what you say... you have to be very careful when any party in a trip misses, delays etc etc.
We booked with friends years ago as a party of 4 to Crete. Friends had family issues half way through and arranged an early return.
You can guess what happened. Pick up time for us turned into an eternal waiting game until we took it into our own hands and got a taxi.
Once we arrived at the airport, check-in seemed flummoxed, looking back and forth through their systems.
Problem ? I asked.
No no, they replied but something was amiss. They got us on the flight but something went wrong in there somewhere.
Don't take it for granted....

Top Bottom