Making a will

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Big 60 looming large !
Retirement next couple of years.

Mrs KR had seems charities offering to do free wills - but have since heard the catch that when you croak it you are somehow tied to that solicitor.

Co op charging £245 for mirror wills ? Bona fide company - but some people say that's little better than DIY ....

If I DIY - do I have to register the will ?

Any other advice welcome ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Following with interest…….

presta

Guru
If I DIY - do I have to register the will ?

I don't think so, just witnessed.
My father's was a DIY and was valid, I just handed it to the solicitor without ever reading it though, so I don't actually know any detail of what it said.

I keep thinking about making another will because the one I have was opened in the post, and I've had snarky remarks about it from 'strangers' on Twitter, but I don't know how I'd stop the same happening again.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I just got mine done. I paid a solicitor to do it. About £300+vat. It gave me peace of mind that it was done properly.
They were able to make suggestions like if the person you appoint as executor is unavailable it's good to have a substitute.
The solicitor also keeps a copy in case I lost it.

Wills don't need to be registered but do make sure that your family know to look for it. And whatever you do make sure it's signed and witnessed properly. Many years ago my grandfather wrote his making it very clear what he wanted to do with his money. But it wasn't properly witnessed and there was a family falling out over it.

If you want to do anything that people might be upset about - like disinheriting someone - I'd get it done by a solicitor.

There's two "free will" months each year - March and maybe October or November. Check the MoneySavingExpert website. If you go down the charity route it's kind to leave them something in return but you're not tied to them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I did mine for free online through AA home insurance a few years ago.
If there are any complexities, best to do through solicitor

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
It should all be pretty routine tbh. Nothing complicated - £250 or doesn't faze me - but is it £250 I don't need to spend.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Had ours done as a freebie through my wife's Union. Lots of good advice as above about having more than one executor.
Also our local village / parish magazine has adverts for a 'will writer' who's an ex solicitor - though I'm sure there's training for this / para legals.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A local solicitor did ours free, but with the understanding that we would make a donation to the practice's chosen charity. We gave £100.

We told the beneficiaries what is in the joint wills and what it means for them. They also know where the will is kept.

Edit: We have also recently given the beneficiaries an approximate idea of the potential size of our estate.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Are you a member of a Trades Union? Some of them do a Will writing service.

vickster

Legendary Member
It should all be pretty routine tbh. Nothing complicated - £250 or doesn't faze me - but is it £250 I don't need to spend.

If you have property or family, do professionally. Don’t unions for example offer support for such things as above?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I had my first will done, by a will writing company (this choice was against my better judgement but I was over-ruled). To be fair, what was done, and the fee, was OK for what it was, but it was clear fairly quickly that I (totally a lay person who'd once read a book) knew more about wills than the will writing person. Though in fairness
it was OK there is no way they'd cope with anything not 100% simple.

Next one (changed circumstances, not entirely straightforward as pending a divorcez), was done by a local solicitor. It was reasonably priced, and I got emailed a copy in word, which was helpful for later additions sans solicitor. The guy subsequently did my flat purchase and I thought it telling that he gave me a more detailed and accurate assessment than the so called surveyor despite the lawyer never setting foot in the place, though perhaps that's a moan for a different day.

Anyhow, if will is "straightforward" eg "all to mrs and kids" then you can just buy a book and follow what the rules are. If there are trusts, tax management, ex-spouse, or likely soon to be ex-spouse or new spouse, then you need a solicitor to avoid Mr Cock up. A will writing service will not cope with any of the above.

So, here's my advice

1 Buy and read a current UK law (and Scottish law if applicable) wills and probate book eg which or similar

2 Write up a list of who is to get what

3 If "straightforward" write it all up in a will

3 (b) if not "straightforward", get a lawyer to write it all up from your draft. As with any tradesman, I'd get a recommendation if possible.

4 Choose executor(s) plus backup(s) - probably the primary beneficiary (ies). I would not appoint a solicitor as when
the time comes the family solicitor in question is likely dead, retired or bought out by PWC and will charge you a mint. A spouse or adult child executor can hire a lawyer of their choosing and claim the fee from the estate if anything tricky needs doing or it just gets too much, but the control remains with them.

4 Get your signining witnessed by two people who do not benefit IN ANY WAY, from the will ,not even a teacup, else whole will is invalid.
Anyhow, the "rules" aren't that hard, read up upon and avoid the pitfalls.

One thing to consider, particularly for a childless couple is what happens if you both die in the same accident. And if you have small children, same question but even more so.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Just got our solicitor to do our wills, straightforward and watertight.

For couples dieing at the same time, in law the oldest is deemed to die first and passes to the youngest and on from there.

Funeral instructions.

As well as a will consider leaving instructions for your funeral, if you are bothered of course. They can get expensive for what some people consider to be a waste of money. I dealt with (and am still doing so) a death last year. Clear instructions on the funeral or more precisely the lack of one as a No service cremation was requested.

Top Bottom