Looking for a cargo bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No expert. That's a serious bit of kit. Looks awesome. Just check out you don't get stung for a bunch of duty importing it into the UK.

Hi all, what do you think about this cargo bike ?
Are there any owners among you ? I am thinking of buying it, I am interested in the opinion of experts.
https://donnobikes.com/prodotto/io-inbicy-power-mivice/

Looks okay, although I'd want to know exactly who makes the motor if you're insisting on getting a pedelec, and where it can be maintained locally to you, as the curse of the E-Bike is restricted servicing.
I'd also want to get it locally for the same reasons as @steveindenmark states.

Drago

Legendary Member
It looks fandabbidozi, but that kind of cash puts in in tried, tested and true Tern cargo bike territory. It'd have to be very good indeed to justify not choosing a Tern for that style of cargo ebike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Important points made by Steve , Andy and Drago. Bit more blurb here:
https://inbicy.com/
Promises a 5 five year guarantee, but I don't know how you'd collect on it if something goes wrong. Also claims to be 'the lightest in the world '.
With all the possible pitfalls I'd buy locally.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Looks like a great bike but I wouldn’t spend that amount of money on something I couldn’t take back easily for a warranty claim.

As for the import cost, assuming you buy the base model at €4699 with delivery charge of €100, you’ll pay no import duty but 20% VAT. See diagram below for cost at today’s exchange rate.

IMG_0444.jpeg

The non-assisted base platform looks reasonably well thought out, but without seeing one in person it's impossible to know how well they're made and whether they've managed to stick to common specs for stuff like brake mounts, dropout spacings/thickness etc.

As for the motor, the X700 is largely unknown (specced on some Reebok branded bikes from Asia Kingston), as is reliability, spares availability and general aftersales and warranty support. I might consider the non-assisted version id I could see one but for that money I'd avoid the electric one.

Sharky

Guru
What's your cycling background? Do you have a cargo bike already or just basic bike and what sort of usage is it intended for.

The one you've selected may well be a beauty, but could be overkill for intended usage.

Good luck though.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had a similar thought, but I only know Tern by their reputation; I don't have personal experience with them.

Our son loves his Tern folding cargo ebike with Bosch motor.

Having Shimano and Bosch components means it is reliable and easily serviced.

Having the fold means he can always get on UK trains, which may or may not be important to OP.

He will probably love it eTernally.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Looks like a great bike but I wouldn’t spend that amount of money on something I couldn’t take back easily for a warranty claim.

As for the import cost, assuming you buy the base model at €4699 with delivery charge of €100, you’ll pay no import duty but 20% VAT. See diagram below for cost at today’s exchange rate.

View attachment 729560

Just a little addition to this - it's not where you import the bike from, it's where it was manufactured. If, as suspected, this is manufactured elsewhere it may be liable for 6% duty (and 20% VAT on the duty) PLUS an additional Anti-Dumping Duty of up to 62% of up to 62% (and VAT on that as well) if it is of Chinese origin.
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8711601000?country=CN#

Edit - just seen further down the page it shows Italy as the country of production, but I'll leave the above as a warning of potential costs for private imports of 3rd country bikes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom