Just got a steep warning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I happened to mention to my wife that I was in the mood to buy another bike and her response was: " Don't you dare, you have three already, how many can you ride at the same time?" Oh dear, shall I crawl back into my hole?

I've got 10

SWMBO doesn't bother asking any more ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you got enough storage space for another bike? If not, then I can see why your wife would not be happy. If space is not a problem and you are spending your own money, then really it is none of your wife's business, provided that there are no financial worries in the family. (I'm assuming that she has an equal amount of money to spend on her own stuff!)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 8. Jannie has 3.
I also have 2 motorbikes.

Jannie would only comment if we were strapped for cash and I was spending money on a bike that I could not afford. It just would not arise.

I have been with Jannie for 15 years and neither of us have ever said what the other can or cant do. Maybe thats why we have never had an arguement.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you got enough storage space for another bike? If not, then I can see why your wife would not be happy. If space is not a problem and you are spending your own money, then really it is none of your wife's business, provided that there are no financial worries in the family. (I'm assuming that she has an equal amount of money to spend on her own stuff!)

And there speaks a single guy.

Venod

Eh up
Have you got enough storage space for another bike? If not, then I can see why your wife would not be happy. If space is not a problem and you are spending your own money,

There must couples with this approach, but since we married 46 years ago we have never had our own money, its our money, we both know we wouldn't buy anything if it wasn't affordable.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I happened to mention to my wife that I was in the mood to buy another bike and her response was: " Don't you dare, you have three already, how many can you ride at the same time?" Oh dear, shall I crawl back into my hole?

If you want something and you earned the money to pay for it, just go out and buy it. Without consulting the wife about it beforehand. Your mistake is giving her the opportunity to object and give you an earful. Just do it, and keep quiet about it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
How many pairs of shoes does she have....? I'm guessing she has fewer than 6 feet.

Edit: ah,@Venod got there first....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And there speaks a single guy.
I knew that someone would say it... I think it is quite funny that you should post that, given that you have a much nicer bike collection than me and a huge storage space for them! :okay:

You have worked hard for your money and have no space problem. Are you seriously saying that you would be okay with your wife telling you not to buy another bike, merely because she didn't want you to! :whistle:

"Yes, we have lots of money and storage space, but I am telling you that you are NOT buying another bike/computer/drone/pair of trousers/first edition book/[whatever]" is not something that I would be prepared to listen to! It is true that I am not married, and I never have been, but I would never have a relationship with anyone who thought it okay to tell me what to do even when it didn't impact directly on them.

There must couples with this approach, but since we married 47 years ago we have never had our own money, its our money, we both know we wouldn't buy anything if it wasn't affordable.
It is unlikely that I will ever have another relationship, but if I were to change my mind I would expect to come to an arrangement based on how much money we each had coming in and/or saved up. Ideally, there would be enough that it was not a real issue. Pool our money for mortgage/rent, other bills, and holidays. Each keep an agreed amount separate for individual use.

If we both worked (say) 25 hours a week but she earned £100,000 a year and I earned £10,000 then I would expect her to donate some of her money to me or vice versa if earnings were the other way round. Whether that would be an equal split would be decided by negotiation, but that's what I would aim for.

Where I am currently living, I have 2 bikes in the kitchen, 2 in the living room and a 5th one on a turbo trainer in the bedroom. I could understand why a partner might not be happy even with that, and definitely not with more bikes getting added. I have a big back yard though. If I had to, I would erect a secure shed out there and move the bikes into that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Ask her how many pairs of shoes she has, and whatever the answer offer to buy her another pair even thou they can't all be worn at the same time,

I considered this once, then realised I had two pairs of cycling shoes, a pair of running shoes, three pairs of work shoes, a pair of hiking boots, a pair of sandals, some wellies, a pair of gardening shoes, a pair of squash shoes...

Top Bottom