Is 52 too old to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Wow, didn't know that. Hope that day never comes for me! I just love all things milky. Shakes and puds, or just take it straight. Lovely!
I'm with you I can't imagine life without milk. Milky Bar Kid aged 54

Steve at Tern

Regular
:welcome:

I'm 59 and been at the cycling for about a decade. I love it and am fitter now than I've every been, and I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years.

However, at our age, preparation is the key, it's not so easy to just go out and do the stuff we used to do.

1. Look at the route: 10 miles on the flat is very different from 10 miles up and down hills.
2. Think about your bike. I'd strongly suggest you look at getting a hybrid. They're lighter and better set up than the ubiquitous mountain bikes which catch all our eyes when we're starting up. One hundred quid is not going to get you much, so do some research (and perhaps you'll get some help from people here). Local classifieds, Ebay or a local bike shop which sells second hand bikes may give you something decent if you're lucky. My local paper shop has regular ads. But if transport is really rubbish and your alternative is going to be taxis, what about upping the budget a bit? Decathlon, if there's one near you, gets good reviews for it's starter bikes. Places like Edinburgh Bicycle Coop and Wiggle really drop the prices of their 2011 bikes now. If your route is flattish, a single speed bike is going to be better value and more reliable.
3. Prepare. Give yourself plenty of time for the first trip. Make sure you've eaten well the day before and have been drinking plenty. Make sure the bike's OK and the tyres are pumped up to at least 80 percent of their max pressure (it's written on the rim of the tyre). Wear suitable clothes. You could pick up a cycling shirt, shorts and a jacket from Aldi this week for about £25 (you can always wear the shorts under something baggy if you're shy). But don't overdress and avoid absorbent materials... you're going to get warm.
4. Take a banana. If you've undereaten and start feeling the strain you can eat it on the trip. If not, eat it with a pint of skimmed milk as soon as you get there. It'll help with your recovery and make sure you're not too stiff for the return leg.
5. Keep doing it. The first few times are going to be tough, and the temptation to jack it in strong. But if you do the route regularly you'll slash huge chunks off your original time by the end of four weeks and be as smug and boastful as the rest of us.

Let us know how you get on.
Couldn't agree more John.
I'm the same age - 59 - and started 9 or 10 years ago, as a great alternative to walking (you get to see more) or running (which was always seen as a punishment at school, and I've never got over it!)
I decided on an alloy road bike from eBay rather than a hybrid, although I think I was lucky in finding a real enthusiast who was trading up from his Cannondale R500. Modern hybrid/flat bar road bikes are just superb - steer clear of a mountain bike though, they're best kept for mountains.
John's Point 5 is the best one - build up steadily and keep going.
Enjoy.

ayceejay

Guru
I am not sure if I am repeating or clarifying/muddying? but there is no way you will jump on a new bike and cycle 10 miles and then back again on day one. If you are only doing it for a month can you use public transport for part of the way and gradually build up? At the end of the month you should be doing the trip comfortably if the bike is half decent.

Ryan1984

Regular
My Dad is 53 last August he was told he had Fronto-Temp Dementia which is quite rare, it affects his behaviour, he will never work or drive again, he over eats and does not exercise, its not his fault its his brain telling him its right, there is so much he wanted to do that he felt to old to do, my advice to you is to everything you can and enjoy every minute of it, I wish my Dad spent less time asking am I to old and more time doing the things he enjoyed doing :smile: All the best Ryan.

Hello

I'm thinking about buying a bike and doing a bit of cycling in June, the reason primarily is because I will be in the UK on holiday then and its probably more practical than using public transport. My family live about 10 miles from where Ill be staying so it will be max 20 miles a day. I'm fairly fit (walk 4 miles a day and not overweight) but never ridden a bike before. So, will I get myself killed either with a heart attack or because I should be looking at allotments at me age? I'm thinking about spending 100 quid on something - nothing flash as Ill only be using it for a month

Gentlemen?

I met someone about your age when I was walking up to the summit of ben nevis once. This guy claimed to have cycled across britain and was shortly going to climb other mountains aswell as some swimming. He also claimed to have been in the army for 30 years or so. Judging by his fitness I would say he wasnt fibbing. So is your 50s too old for a bit of cycling then? I think thats been answered.

I would advice against a cheapy £100 bike tho. Your better off on a skateboard for that money as the thing will be nothing more than a liability. I once paid about £230 for a road bike (carrera valour) and had it refunded about 6 weeks later but maybe that was just because it was a halfords bike. Cancel your pension and buy something of value.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
52,to old, I hope not or I am really screwed. :biggrin:

Never to late for most things, I started to learn to play a guitar at 58 and have got back into cycling at 61.
Just go for it

Hello

I'm thinking about buying a bike and doing a bit of cycling in June, the reason primarily is because I will be in the UK on holiday then and its probably more practical than using public transport. My family live about 10 miles from where Ill be staying so it will be max 20 miles a day. I'm fairly fit (walk 4 miles a day and not overweight) but never ridden a bike before. So, will I get myself killed either with a heart attack or because I should be looking at allotments at me age? I'm thinking about spending 100 quid on something - nothing flash as Ill only be using it for a month

Gentlemen?
Hi Rob,
I was nearly 60 when I started cycling and like you I started with a cheap, £100 bike. Don't worry about what others say about getting a more expensive bike, you will find a £100 bike quite OK for what you have in mind.
After I had been riding for several months I did buy a more expensive bike which cost me £250 in a bike sale. However I still own and use the £100 bike and have done several 1,000 miles on it. During that time I have had to replace the bottom bracket bearings due to original lacking grease! Also the original chain wore out much quicker than would say a SRAM. But the new chain cost less than £5. Another fault with very cheap bikes is broken spokes (rear wheel, drive side which get most stress). I have recently replaced the rear wheel after several original spokes had broken. But this was after hundreds of miles.
The reason I bought a second bike (the one for £250) was that I had by then taken up cycling as a pastime and joined the Anerley Bicycle Club. I am now coming up to 73 years of age and still a committed cyclist. I am currently in training for a 1,500k charity bike ride to Santiago de Compostela in nothern Spain. And anyone who has cycled in Spain will know how hilly it is!
So Rob get on your £100 bike and enjoy your cycling time. If like me you become an enthusiast, then think about up grading, but it is not necessary for short rides and commutes.

Nosaj

Rob,

Welcome. Back in Easter I went away with some cycling buddies to the Cotswolds (a hilly part of the UK). We are all based in Essex which is about a 2.5 hour drive away. 3 guys joined us from another club that is affilliated via friendship rather than anything official. The few guys who joined us and rode the 3 full days, which entailed around 200 miles and about 10,000 ft of climbing roughly. We went home and these 3 guys carried on to another hotel for another few days albeit in a less hillier area and was rumoured that they may cycle home (or at least a good part way home). OK one of them moaned a bit and said that he was getting too old for all this but we let him off as he was 76 his younger mate didn't moan as much but that is to be expected as he was only 73.

These are admittedly are fit guys for their age and it is clear that they have led healthy lifestyles. The 73 year old started cycling after he retired.

Your original question are you too old ..... well what do you think ? .....NO

Provided you have a modicum of fitness are all clear with your Doc and have no other health isssues, build up the distance gradually and slowly you will be absolutely fine

I would find it easier to cycle 20 flat miles than walk 4.

Tarrantini

Hi Rob,
I was nearly 60 when I started cycling and like you I started with a cheap, £100 bike. Don't worry about what others say about getting a more expensive bike, you will find a £100 bike quite OK for what you have in mind.
After I had been riding for several months I did buy a more expensive bike which cost me £250 in a bike sale. However I still own and use the £100 bike and have done several 1,000 miles on it. During that time I have had to replace the bottom bracket bearings due to original lacking grease! Also the original chain wore out much quicker than would say a SRAM. But the new chain cost less than £5. Another fault with very cheap bikes is broken spokes (rear wheel, drive side which get most stress). I have recently replaced the rear wheel after several original spokes had broken. But this was after hundreds of miles.
The reason I bought a second bike (the one for £250) was that I had by then taken up cycling as a pastime and joined the Anerley Bicycle Club. I am now coming up to 73 years of age and still a committed cyclist. I am currently in training for a 1,500k charity bike ride to Santiago de Compostela in nothern Spain. And anyone who has cycled in Spain will know how hilly it is!
So Rob get on your £100 bike and enjoy your cycling time. If like me you become an enthusiast, then think about up grading, but it is not necessary for short rides and commutes.

albion

Guru
My Dad is 53 last August he was told he had Fronto-Temp Dementia which is quite rare, it affects his behaviour, he will never work or drive again, he over eats and does not exercise, its not his fault its his brain telling him its right, there is so much he wanted to do that he felt to old to do, my advice to you is to everything you can and enjoy every minute of it, I wish my Dad spent less time asking am I to old and more time doing the things he enjoyed doing :smile: All the best Ryan.
There is plenty of evidence that good blood oxygen supply is the key to good health in all areas.

Type 2 diabetes is cured by diet and exercise and its no coincidence that the brightest minds are often the fittest.

Top Bottom