Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I don't have a lawn

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • I do have a lawn but I don't mow it

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Scythe

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Westwood ride-on with a 3ft cutting deck and manual gearbox, powered by a 12.5 hp single cylinder Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke petrol engine.

Had it for about 25 years. It's a bit frayed around the edges these days as it gets a lot of use and abuse, but it's easy enough to maintain and does the job without too much fuss. I wish it had a bigger deck, but as long as it keeps going, I see no reason to replace.

buzz22

Über Member
20231118_095759.jpg

I keep getting asked when I'll get a new one but my late 1980's Rover (bought second hand a few years ago) keeps doing what it's supposed to- they made them well back then

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I see these single battery systems and I think how great it would be if my Strimmer (rechargeable) Hedge Trimmer (cable) mower (human power) drill (cable) and electric screwdriver (rechargeable with removable battery) plus a few other things all ran off the same system.

But I'm not going to get rid of a bunch of perfectly good tools just in the name of compatibility. So I'm stuck with what I have.

My dream of having a single-battery set of tools has just taken a knock. I noticed that my (about 20 year old) strimmer was a bit sluggish this spring and didn't last long so I've just replaced the battery. It uses a sealed lead acid battery which probably dates it as I imagine it's all lithium these days.

It's now good as new. Bah. No excuse to get a fancy new one.

presta

Guru
this mower, which belonged to our neighbors, predates our moving in, in 1966
View attachment 728481
I doubt any new push mower handle made these days would last 58+ years
View attachment 728482
was so tempted to take it & rejuvenate it, but that would have been stealing
View attachment 728483
came across it while fixing a fence panel between the 2 properties. the original owners are long gone & sadly the house sits vacant today. I wonder what other treasures may be in the basement

before Dad bought a gas mower, I had to mow our various lawn sections with a newer push mower. not so fond memories, if I recall correctly

My grandad had one of those. We had a Qualcast Super Panther, which was heavy & sluggish:

$_86.jpg

i had a neighbour that used to cut their grass with shears. it wasn't a huge lawn but big enough to be down on your knees doing the whole thing.
as a kid i used to think they were mad

Top Bottom