Home Cinema advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Advice appreciated please. I've been googling all afternoon but all results seem to differ.

I've got a Denon AVR receiver and 2 floor standing speakers. I use it for telly and music. I've now just got a powered subwoofer. Only problem is I can't seem to get the crossovers set to a good level. Can anyone suggest what the crossovers should be set for the speakers and the sub? I tried speakers lpf set at 120hz and the sub at 80 but it doesn't sound natural like in my car. To be honest I don't really know what it means. I only have lpf settings, there is no option for hpf

mustang1

Legendary Member
Don't take this as a gospel answer or anything but last time I had decent floor standing speakers they were rated from 20hz-20khz so I figure a subwoofer would be kind of at least in the 20hz range and possibly lower. But idk about this stuff any more (so why am I answering?).

Anyway, what's the lowest frequently your floor standing speakers take? Perhaps set the sub to take over at that kind of frequency.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just tacking onto this thread becasue it's somewhat related.

We were given a Yamaha AV receiver that sits in our cinema room in the garden. It's 10 years old but looks like it was a fairly good one when new (has 7.1 outputs, Dolby vision etc)

Anyway, it's been hooked up to the projector and was working fine until it suddenly lost picure and sound.
It's not the projector because that still has the native "no signal" warning on the screen.
I've swapped HDMI leads for new ones but no joy
I'm fairly sure it's the AV receiver, as it was working fine but suddenly stopped working mid-use.

Is there anything I can check, or do they give up like this normally? I've tried going through all the sources and settings but to no avail. And as I said, it stopped working mid-film so can't be anything set up wrong.

Thanks

CXRAndy

Guru
To be doubly sure try another video source like DVD player to ensure the projector is fine.

It will need a technician with fault finding skills to trace where the video is being lost inside the Yamaha AV amp.

I do like Yamaha AV kit. I used to repair TV, video equipment in my early days.

This is the fella you need to repair your kit

https://www.youtube.com/@MendItMark

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks. I tried another source but through the AVs hdmi. I might try hooking directly to the projector and see if anything is recognized.

Top Bottom