Holiday bookings & Coronavirus...how are we affected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
NOT another Coronavirus thread.
We booked 2 weeks in Majorca and paid in full. I also paid for insurance.
This morning Italy seems to be facing melt down with severe restriction on movement.
I have a strong feeling this is just starting.
So......were do we stand re holiday cancellations? Who decides when they can be cancelled with full repayment ?
I assume that I cannot just decide 'no thankyou' and cancel?
Any thoughts?

tom73

Guru
Unless the FCO add it to the list of don't travel it really is up to your insurance and what they say if the situation becomes an issue.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Unless the FCO add it to the list of don't travel it really is up to your insurance and what they say if the situation becomes an issue.
But eg in Italy the goverment has "shuttered" whole areas. So, if you had a holiday planned for one of those areas you (i assume) would just not be allowed in.
I will now go and check what FCO stands for :wacko:
Edit.
Ahhh got it now:rolleyes:

Julia9054

Guru
Well this hadn't occurred to me due to not planning on being anywhere near the Far East.
Will be in Germany, Austria and the Italian Alps this summer though (middle aged inter railing!)
Have booked trains but haven't yet bought travel insurance

vickster

Legendary Member
NOT another Coronavirus thread.
We booked 2 weeks in Majorca and paid in full. I also paid for insurance.
This morning Italy seems to be facing melt down with severe restriction on movement.
I have a strong feeling this is just starting.
So......were do we stand re holiday cancellations? Who decides when they can be cancelled with full repayment ?
I assume that I cannot just decide 'no thankyou' and cancel?
Any thoughts?
No

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
MrsP , myself and the kids are off to Sri Lanka in just over a weeks time, at the moment the foreign office, and the Sri Lankan government have nothing on their web sites against going, at the moment anyway.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
MrsP , myself and the kids are off to Sri Lanka in just over a weeks time, at the moment the foreign office, and the Sri Lankan government have nothing on their web sites against going, at the moment anyway.
We came back from there last Monday. Apart from the ticket man at the maritime museum in Galle, nobody seemed concerned about face masks or stuff like that. It was a great holiday and I still seem to be alive.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is that a "no, you have no thoughts" or a "no I can't decided to cancel"........I think I know which one :rolleyes:.
But, as I say, what if you have a hol' booked in one of the lock down areas of Italy? The Italian authorities won't allow you to fly but the FCO haven't declared it dangerous.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We're off to Italy in June, hopefully it'll be all over by then.....always the optimistic!
That IS optomistic.
It started early January. They reckon a vaccine is 9 months away. Italy is already starting lockdown.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that a "no, you have no thoughts" or a "no I can't decided to cancel"........I think I know which one :rolleyes:.
But, as I say, what if you have a hol' booked in one of the lock down areas of Italy? The Italian authorities won't allow you to fly but the FCO haven't declared it dangerous.
The latter. But read your insurance co Ts & Cs. They usually follow the FCO guidance

Top Bottom