Have you needed to change your phone due to a banking App requiring later version of Android?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All my banking is done on my windows 10 desktop.
I need a fullsize keyboard to get anywhere.
A tablet is bad enough but a phone keyboard, forget it!

Nothing. But every time they update the app they will have to do regression testing on older versions of Android. There comes a point where they don't want to spend the money on testing on very old versions of the OS, so they just stop you using it.

The good news is that you can pick up a second hand android device for relatively little money that has a more modern OS.

You can still use Windows 3.1 on your PC but very little software will run on it :-)

I have a Pixel 2 XL 64Gb (supports up to Android 11) in excellent condition available for £50... ;-)

That's good

Interesting - thanks!

My Pixel 5 has been updated to Android 13 but if I still have the phone when Google stop supporting it, I'll investigate Lineage.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lineage+OS&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

mustang1

Guru
I tend to hang on to 'items' while ever they still function, even if the item is dated.

The case in point was that I received a circular email from Virgin bank yesterday. The heads up is that Android version 6 will soon cease to function for their App. Android Version 8 is going to be the minimum version that will function with their App. The iphones are affected too.

I will assume that as technology moves on, we have to do so too. System updates for my phone's version ended about 2yr years ago. I still udate all my other apps,

I don't know what is so special about banking Apps, or at least the Virgin App.

I can't see them giving their customers a few vouchers towards a new phone for the customers to remain loyal? Hmmm what if loads of people left in droves? Maybe other banking Apps will need to go the same way with technoogy.

View attachment 688448

Kind of. I get a new phone before the current was is no longer issued with security updates.

yello

Customs ROMs (like Lineage) can bring new life to an old phone. My 2015 OnePlusX was originally released with OnePlus's version of Android 5, then later 6 when development on it stopped. I still use the phone but with Lineage 20 (Android 13) on it. That said, I don't use banking apps on it (so it's kinda moot!) but in theory it would run them (other workarounds might be required too).

BUT it is geeky to do stuff like and you risk knackering your phone entirely.

Customs ROMs (like Lineage) can bring new life to an old phone. My 2015 OnePlusX was originally released with OnePlus's version of Android 5, then later 6 when development on it stopped. I still use the phone but with Lineage 20 (Android 13) on it. That said, I don't use banking apps on it (so it's kinda moot!) but in theory it would run them (other workarounds might be required too).

BUT it is geeky to do stuff like and you risk knackering your phone entirely.

I tried exactly this on my Sony Xperia XZ2 - unfortunately I could not get any of the workarounds working so my banking app (Halifax) refused to work as the bootloader was unlocked...
I replaced it with a (second hand) Samsung S21 and will now only buy from manufacturers who guarantee at least 5 years (ideally 7) of security updates.

yello

unfortunately I could not get any of the workarounds working so my banking app

It is a game of whack-a-mole in some respects. I have banking apps on my other (unlocked & rooted) phone and they all run just fine, after some coaxing. Even contactless payment (nfc with Google Wallet) works... until it doesn't. Then I have to research and tinker again.

Point is, there are often ways around these things. People will point to security issues of such apps on unlocked phones but I personally see greater risk with a bank card. That said, I have a preference for cards. They're easier. Getting my phone out to pay for something is a level of pfaff too far for me. Though a watch, well, I could see that working - not that I'll get one. Horses for courses, ymmv etc.

But I digress. My main point was that one doesn't necessarily have to ditch an otherwise working phone just because a banking app says so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom