Have you needed to change your phone due to a banking App requiring later version of Android?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tend to hang on to 'items' while ever they still function, even if the item is dated.

The case in point was that I received a circular email from Virgin bank yesterday. The heads up is that Android version 6 will soon cease to function for their App. Android Version 8 is going to be the minimum version that will function with their App. The iphones are affected too.

I will assume that as technology moves on, we have to do so too. System updates for my phone's version ended about 2yr years ago. I still udate all my other apps,

I don't know what is so special about banking Apps, or at least the Virgin App.

I can't see them giving their customers a few vouchers towards a new phone for the customers to remain loyal? Hmmm what if loads of people left in droves? Maybe other banking Apps will need to go the same way with technoogy.

2023-05-06 12.34.50.png

If your phone stopped getting updates two years ago then there will be a number of security flaws found since that will not be patched. Even with the latest app updates there operating system flaws pose a security risk.

Banks may also wish to bring in new security and other features not supported by the older operating systems.

That'll be the main reasons behind stopping support on older devices.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above, your non supported phone will be vulnerable to hackers and malware. Best to buy a current version and be safe and still have access to all your apps.
The good news is that you can get a great phone for £100-150 now. Check out YouTube reviews for best buys.

I don't know what is so special about banking Apps
Perhaps the clue is in the name. Banking.
I tend to be a bit more secure with my banking app than my mapping apps, as an example. I'd expect my bank to do similar.
Indeed, a reason for me to change my bank was the difference in functionality and security of their apps.

If they haven't given suitable notice you have grounds for a moan.
If you don't want to upgrade then consider how often (and why) you use the app and if it is really necessary.

But really, banking security? It should be close to the top of your phone security priorities.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Laptop? Or is that so last-century too? Perhaps the OP is still using Windows 95. (I probably would, if Microsoft still supported it. Still lamenting the passing of Windows XP, myself).

icowden

Veteran
I don't know what is so special about banking Apps, or at least the Virgin App.
Nothing. But every time they update the app they will have to do regression testing on older versions of Android. There comes a point where they don't want to spend the money on testing on very old versions of the OS, so they just stop you using it.

The good news is that you can pick up a second hand android device for relatively little money that has a more modern OS.

You can still use Windows 3.1 on your PC but very little software will run on it :-)

I have a Pixel 2 XL 64Gb (supports up to Android 11) in excellent condition available for £50... ;-)

Top Bottom