Giant TCR Advanced - Conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Giant TCR Advanced S-105 with upgraded carbon Reserve Wheelset
I can't ride it just now due to an almost 18month sciatica back issue, so do I:

A) Get it sold and get money while I can, then buy another, more up to date bike and spec (i.e. Di2)
B) HODL Hold onto it and ride when able?? (who knows when that will be though!)

I'm thinking its just collecting dust and has been for this length of time.

Attachments

• 7ee60371-35b4-4ced-9c66-e737598b1950.jpg
    7ee60371-35b4-4ced-9c66-e737598b1950.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 60

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry to hear about your sciatica and the lack of use your Giant has had .
Bikes are not selling well so the odds are you won't get what you were expecting for it .
If it was me I would just keep hold of it till you are able to. But tough decision for sure.

Hope things get better soon

Sharky

Guru
Do you have other bikes that you can ride?
If you do, then selling now and buying another next year is an option, but I guess the differential between money in from the sale, compared to money out for a new purchase, will be vast and until your back is completely cured, you won't be able to justify it.

So I would keep it.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I would sell this one and get one that has a colour when feeling better. Based on the saddle and handlebar height, you got a wrong size anyway.

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Why do you say that? I had a fitting by the very same LBS I bought it from. Matt Black is Stealth.
Most notably - the excessive steerer spacers, paired with a positive angle long stem and handlebars that look too large, as well as a positively angled saddle (nose pointing slightly upwards - not noticeable on the photo because the rear wheel is higher than the front) that's quite far forward.

This, to my eye, suggests that the fitter had a problem of fitting a larger rider to a smaller frame. They would have started with the saddle height, set that right, and then realised that your handlebar drop would be excessive and reach too short - so likely didn't even cut the steerer tube and added all the spacers they had in the shop, fitted a longer stem and put on handlebars with a long reach and width that doesn't look right. The saddle is potentially pointing slightly upwards because you were too far forward with large drop and therefore sliding from it.

Is this an S size frame? Did the LBS give you a fit and then ordered the right size or did they have the bike in stock and then did the fit?

Jameshow

Veteran
Position looks fine for someone who wants to go aero. Not so great for bumbling or back pain...

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Most notably - the excessive steerer spacers, paired with a positive angle long stem and handlebars that look too large, as well as a positively angled saddle (nose pointing slightly upwards - not noticeable on the photo because the rear wheel is higher than the front) that's quite far forward.

This, to my eye, suggests that the fitter had a problem of fitting a larger rider to a smaller frame. They would have started with the saddle height, set that right, and then realised that your handlebar drop would be excessive and reach too short - so likely didn't even cut the steerer tube and added all the spacers they had in the shop, fitted a longer stem and put on handlebars with a long reach and width that doesn't look right. The saddle is potentially pointing slightly upwards because you were too far forward with large drop and therefore sliding from it.

Is this an S size frame? Did the LBS give you a fit and then ordered the right size or did they have the bike in stock and then did the fit?

No, bike purchased and I returned with it to undertake the fitting.

davidphilips

Veteran
Just advertise it and if some one makes a reasonable offer sell it. Peters post makes great reading and if you do sell it then you can but a larger frame when you do get back (sorry no pun intended) into cycling?
Costss nothing to advertise it on Gumtree and facebook and at least you will know if theres lots of replies that its worth more than you think or if no replies then worth less than you think.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

The frame is Medium, I am 5'10 and 13 stone...

Come to think of it, it was the only TCR in the store. Are you saying the LBS just sold me what they had and "made me fit the bike" the best they could? Hmm

IMG_4728.jpeg

Top Bottom