Gas / Electrickery Payments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In fairness, moving in we were putting in 14 hour days for about a week. Lifting, shifting, decorating. All the lights and heating were on pretty much the whole time. I'm the only one in the house who turns things off! We still haven't worked out how to set the timing for the boiler but we will in time. The house was owned by a builder who did everything himself and it's a very high use building. E.g. there were TVs in every room (including the kitchen and tool shed). There's an electric heater in the cinema room down in the garden (which I beg not to be used but it's freezing down there when the boys have friends over). Plus we have an 18yo shower addict but thankfully he's joining the army this week.

Does that mean we can expect to see the Defence Budget increased, to cover his shower costs ;)

presta

Guru
Most showers are around 7kw

My first shower was 6kW, and it was effin' useless in winter, so I made sure to get a 10.8kW one when I replaced it. Even that's a bit thin in the coldest of weathers, but from what I've seen, the maximum you can get now is 9.5kW.

Scaleyback

Veteran
si_c said:-

My last thought is electric showers - they are cripplingly expensive at the moment, when we moved we took out the old electric shower and ran a feed to the hot water and installed a mixer shower - even though prices have dropped a bit it's still 5x more expensive to run an electric shower than a mixer. Most showers are around 7kw output, a quick estimate means that a family of 4 with a 15 minute shower each, once a day will spend just under £3 per day on the shower, compared to 75p for a mixer, run that difference out and you save between £400 and £600 per year.
Unquote

A 15 minute shower each ! Gulp . . . that's not washing, that's water sports. Never mind the cost of the electric that is environmentally wasteful.

si_c

Guru
A 15 minute shower each ! Gulp . . . that's not washing, that's water sports. Never mind the cost of the electric that is environmentally wasteful.
I would tend to agree, however, I have plenty of friends who have teenagers who take very long showers, and it's not just the girls.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I pay mine on DD , every month i get an email saying i havent done a meter reading for more than 3 months when i have just sent them it the month before .....

the snail

Guru
The way to cure them ? electric showers are fed from the rising main. Just turn off the water at the stop tap (under the sink usually) That gets them out of the shower. Also helps the stop tap from ' seizing up ' from lack of use. :rolleyes:

Just turn the power off at the fuse after 5 mins. their showering habits will soon improve.

classic33

Leg End Member
I shave and clean my teeth in the shower, am I alone in this?
Why do your teeth need shaving at all?

presta

Guru
The way to cure them ? electric showers are fed from the rising main. Just turn off the water at the stop tap (under the sink usually) That gets them out of the shower. Also helps the stop tap from ' seizing up ' from lack of use. :rolleyes:

My old one didn't have a solenoid valve, if you wanted someone out of that you could just pull the fuse out and let it run cold.

albion

Guru
My first shower was 6kW, and it was effin' useless in winter, so I made sure to get a 10.8kW one when I replaced it. Even that's a bit thin in the coldest of weathers, but from what I've seen, the maximum you can get now is 9.5kW.

Strange. I only ever use the 4kw setting on mine. So 10 minutes is 0.666 kw/h

Top Bottom