Gardening/Allotmenting 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Things starting to sprout and grow here in Cumbria which is a bit early. I got a Gunnera as a present (before they were banned) and leaves are appearing!!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have a question about compost bins. I have a large wooden compost bin which does not get covered except in prolonged wet weather. Under the cover is some very large pieces of cardboard which act as insulation.

The compost is currently wet, but the worms seems to enjoy those conditions. At present here we are getting dry but very cold days. Should I take the cover off for a few days, to allow some of the moisture to evaporate? Or should I leave it on to insulate the contents from the very low temperatures?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now we won't be at the caravan every weekend, it's time to clear the greenhouse out, ready to start again. We did loads to it during lock down, but as we've been back at work etc, it's become a dumping ground for son's car stuff - so that's going to be moved so we can prep the planting area in there.

I can now confirm, Sunday was clearing and washing down the greenhouse ready for this year's planting. Oh how my back ached. Car load of stuff taken to the tip.

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
I have a question about compost bins. I have a large wooden compost bin which does not get covered except in prolonged wet weather. Under the cover is some very large pieces of cardboard which act as insulation.

The compost is currently wet, but the worms seems to enjoy those conditions. At present here we are getting dry but very cold days. Should I take the cover off for a few days, to allow some of the moisture to evaporate? Or should I leave it on to insulate the contents from the very low temperatures?

I'd be tempted to keep it on to maintain as much heat as possible. Not sure much water would evaporate out at current temperatures

tom73

Guru

Keep it on the heat is more of a benefit to composting process and keeps the worms happy. Both composting process and worms slow down in cold weather. Unless it's water logged I'd not worry the one thing you don't wan't. Is the water freezing within the bin.

All uphill

Still rolling along
While on the subject of composters, ours are usually full of life, but at this time of year all the wee beasties must withdraw to the warm centre, because no life is visible.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
While on the subject of composters, ours are usually full of life, but at this time of year all the wee beasties must withdraw to the warm centre, because no life is visible.

If I lift the cover and the cardboard, there are lots and lots of large worms just a few inches down.
I suspect that the warmth from the centre is travelling upwards.

On a different aspect of composting, should I build a leaf container to make leaf mould? The two very large photinias produce very thick, ie not easily compostable leaves.

I do not like the idea of storing them in large plastic bags, as that looks unsightly in my opinion. There are four short posts from very old garden furniture. I could attach netting around the four posts (in a square). Is there an optimum size for leaves?

All uphill

Still rolling along
If I lift the cover and the cardboard, there are lots and lots of large worms just a few inches down.
I suspect that the warmth from the centre is travelling upwards.

On a different aspect of composting, should I build a leaf container to make leaf mould? The two very large photinias produce very thick, ie not easily compostable leaves.

I do not like the idea of storing them in large plastic bags, as that looks unsightly in my opinion. There are four short posts from very old garden furniture. I could attach netting around the four posts (in a square). Is there an optimum size for leaves?

I put them in a plastic bag, thoroughly scrunch them up to open the insides of the leaves to the microscopic life, and then put them in the compost. Seems to work.

midlife

Guru
I run over the leaves with the lawn mower, collect the chopped up bits in the lawnmower bag and lob on the compost. Really can't be bothered with separate leaf mould although Monty raves about it.

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Also just run them over with the mower and add to the compost bin.

We have quite a bit of activity in ours at the moment from the local rattus norvegitus population. They do a good job of mixing it up but I'd rather do without the help.

We had been adding uncooked veg peelings, which I suspect is what they are feeding on.

Hicky

Guru
When we moved there was one of those black bin type of composters…I’ve looked at the contents over the years and come to the conclusion it’s useless.
Are they…?

Top Bottom