Gardening/Allotmenting 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First picking of rhubarb for 2024 for some strange reason our rhubarb never gets thick it's always been thin and it's been well looked after over the years

IMG_20240428_101543.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
First picking of rhubarb for 2024 for some strange reason our rhubarb never gets thick it's always been thin and it's been well looked after over the years

View attachment 728943

It's very pale too. Maybe the variety?

I've been picking mine for a week or two. Left some on a neighbour's doorstep this morning.

The Guardian had a rhubarb and custard cake recipe recently. I've bought a tin of custard in preparation.

I've just bought a rhubarb and border plant with bright red leaves that fade to green as they get older. Quite tall but should be about 1m high by 90cm wide when fully grown. We're trying to fill our front garden borders out by buying decent plants. The rhubarb is for the back.

Sharky

Guru
I'm a novice greenhouse grower. Have started with a few tomato plants.
However, will be away in May for a week. Can anybody recommend a way of watering the toms while we are away.
Either with a clever DIY fix using plastic bottles or those things you can buy to use with old bottles.
Thanks

Hicky

Guru
Discovered the other day that the allotments will be about 50 metres rro hour house. Ding a ling!

Downside is it won't be for a few years, and the builders are currently using the spot for storage.

Hopefully they’ll leave it in a good state for you to take over.

Hicky

Guru
The greenhouse is full of sprouting seedlings. 🌱 Mainly flowers for bedding areas and hanging baskets.
Magnolia tree purchased without a clue where it’s going….a big pot!🤣
Sadly our dwarf rhododendron has bitten the dust, I suspect the cold has had it. The large rhododendron is flourishing and provides a stop off to the feeders before they finally swing in. Stunning flowers however they don’t last too long. I might pop a different colour in as these are the first to flower in the garden apart from the tulips and daffs.
All the roses planted last year are thriving and the potted on ones are looking like they want a permanent home…I’m seemingly an expert at growing dandelions at the moment too.

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 0

tom73

Guru
However, will be away in May for a week. Can anybody recommend a way of watering the toms while we are away.
Either with a clever DIY fix using plastic bottles or those things you can buy to use with old bottles.
Thanks

1st thing is use good quality compost most mass market stuff is pretty poor.
I've used this for years they do a specific tomato one. not only good for flavour , strong healthy plants but also due to wool content holds water longer. https://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/our-products.aspx
As for Watering something like this will do the job , I've used one with no issues.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Watering-Irrigation-Greenhouse-drippers/dp/B0B2VMHFGX

Trull

Über Member
Thanks

I sidestepped this issue a few years back by using hydroponics and float valves fed from two water butts.
If they are in pots, you could try placing them on capillary matting with one end into a reservoir which is fed from your waterbutt. Don't forget to place some black plastic (maybe ex-compost bag) over the matting and reservoir to avoid algae from growing.

Sharky

Guru
1st thing is use good quality compost most mass market stuff is pretty poor.
I've used this for years they do a specific tomato one. not only good for flavour , strong healthy plants but also due to wool content holds water longer. https://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/our-products.aspx
As for Watering something like this will do the job , I've used one with no issues.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Watering-Irrigation-Greenhouse-drippers/dp/B0B2VMHFGX

Thanks for your advice. Have just ordered the dripper from Amazon.

Cheers

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I got some asparagus seeds at a seed swap. I planted them about three weeks ago and the tiniest little asparagus spears you can imagine have appeared in the last couple of days. I need to put my reading glasses on just to see them!

Apparently it takes about three years to get a decent sized plant.

Top Bottom