Frame & fork set to accept 27" wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
as title says i am on the look out for a decent frame with if poss nice lugwork and if poss 531 tubing , anybody got anything for me

anywhere between 21 - 22.5 or 23" centre of crank to centre of seat pinch bolt

Last edited:

gary r

Guru
What size frame ????

biketrailerguy

Let me know what you have that might tempt me

Absolutely no guarantee that I have anything that'll be suitable / acceptable - but when I've got time I'll have a shufties, as there's all manner of stuff buried in sheds, but some was 27in iirc :smile:
If there is anything, it'll be completely stripped (unless I couldn't do so) - but I assume that's the required state anyway?
Leicester, btw.

biketrailerguy

Both 2.55 kg ea.
blue 22in
black 21in
Black frame is an overpainted job, but got a badge of some sort on the front.
Will look for forks later if either of these are likely to be of use - otherwise I'll not bother.
You're welcome to either or both, btw - no £ needed.
Even got an unused 27 x 1.25 front wheel, still with the Halfords sticker on it, dumped in a skip when they moved premises - but I doubt up to the spec you're probably considering?
If you want / need more detailed pix of any part, let me know.

No indication of 531, btw, unless it's under the black daub.

Attachments

• bike frames.jpg
    bike frames.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think the black one is going to be too small , but the blue one could be just about ok size wise, any idea what it is under the blue paint ?

biketrailerguy

I think the black one is going to be too small , but the blue one could be just about ok size wise, any idea what it is under the blue paint ?

Only bothered with the black one because of original size range mentioned - but nay probs.
No idea what's under the blue paint - shall I investigate, and if so, how?
What would you like me to find - other than steel tube that's not particularly compromised ?

Considering its pedigree, I doubt it's anything fancy - how much would a similar 531 frame weigh?
Bike was bought (used) from an LBS many moons ago by a mate of over 55yrs - in response to me nagging him about getting a bike.
He gave up and offered me the steed - knowing him, it wouldn't have been an arm + leg situation - maybe just an elbow.

anywhere between 21 - 22.5 or 23" centre of crank to centre of seat pinch bolt

OK, let me try. I have a 1970s track frame with lugs, horizontal drop-out, road fork (alu fork, steel steerer 1").

I've had the frame for a very long time sitting in my garage.

It is an obscure brand - DHC iirc, made in South Africa by the manufacuter who dominated the scene at the time. The framebuildere and I were riding buddies. The tubing is whatever the premium tubing at the time was, Reynolds-something.

12 years ago I restored it, put on a a new Campag BB, new headset and a road fork. I never built it any further and it is sitting in my loft wrapped in lagging.

What may put you off is the track spacing at the rear wheel (but this can easily be opened to 126 or even 130mm), and the fact that the rear seat stay brace is not drilled for a rear brake.

Lugs are British racing green, body is creamish. The paint is still new but not super professional. I painted it in my garage.

The frame measures 56cm from centre of BB to centre of top tube.

@Yellow Saddle mmmm
So I presume there's a rear bridge just not drilled and deffo 27"

OK, you owe me 500 cable ties.

I crawled up there, cut it open and examined it. The paint is nicer than I remembered. Nevertheless, this is probably the deal breaker The fork I repaced on it is 700C.

I've taken some photos with measurements so you can decide if a 27" wheel will do it for you or not.

In the first measurement photo I show the chainstay length from centre of BB. Second one, the seatstay length from the centre of the seatstay bridge. Third measurement photo, the frame size, next the 700C sticker on the fork steerer. Last photo with a tape measurement is from the centre of the brake mount hole to the drop-outs - the bit that will determine if 27" can be bodged in there or not.

The other photo shows proof that you owe me one zillion cable ties.

Attachments

• IMGP0269.JPG
    IMGP0269.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0267.JPG
    IMGP0267.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0266.JPG
    IMGP0266.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0265.JPG
    IMGP0265.JPG